Vanilla Errors Mega Thread

Discuss modding questions and implementation details.
Channel1

Vanilla Errors Mega Thread

Post by Channel1 »

I just though I'd create this since no one else had.

Aim: To find and collate/discuss all of the errors in vanilla Daggerfall, however minor , this can include errors in geometry, spelling, graphics and more. These can possibly be used by Interkarma's or other developers, but will most likely kept for modders to fix.

Rules (that you don't have to follow):
-Errors: These must only be errors, not bugs, not gripes
Last edited by Channel1 on Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:23 am, edited 2 times in total.

R.D.

Re: Vanilla Errors Mega Thread

Post by R.D. »

Sounds like a good idea, but it could quickly become a mess. Do you have an idea for organizing it?

Someone on the DaggerXL forums did a good job with this and that could provide a head start.
http://xlengine.com/forums/viewforum.ph ... 5231db1dce

R.D.

Post by R.D. »

Also, although it's interesting just from a trivia perspective, many errors in the original game won't really be of use to DF Unity development, if they are just a problem with the game logic slipping up, like something that causes a crash, or the graphics or sound bugging out or something. What could potentially be useful are content errors, like bad 3d models that could use patching up if possible, or oddities in content or game mechanics.

Channel1

Post by Channel1 »

@R&D

A separate subforum would be a good idea, but I can't do it, I'll just leave it to Interkarma if he feels like it.

-Map errors
These are just everywhere, a particularly bad spot is Cybiades.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

I found some pretty egregious errors while I was working on the mechanics thread. The biggest ones that stood out to me are that Willpower and Agility are absolutely useless for their stated purposes, which are spell resistance and combat odds. But the disease immunity oddities are also high on the list. Once combat testing began, a lot of my assumptions went out the window.

A lot of the things found to be errors so far have been corrected on the way by the dev team. Some of DFU will be an idealistic version of what Daggerfall should have been rather than what it is. Once we leave behind core systems and move towards polishing, I imagine there'll be a more general discussion about what the final project should look like.

Channel1

Post by Channel1 »

Jay_H wrote:I found some pretty egregious errors while I was working on the mechanics thread. The biggest ones that stood out to me are that Willpower and Agility are absolutely useless for their stated purposes, which are spell resistance and combat odds. But the disease immunity oddities are also high on the list. Once combat testing began, a lot of my assumptions went out the window.

A lot of the things found to be errors so far have been corrected on the way by the dev team. Some of DFU will be an idealistic version of what Daggerfall should have been rather than what it is. Once we leave behind core systems and move towards polishing, I imagine there'll be a more general discussion about what the final project should look like.
I think Zhahakaron will have to redo the whole "Before Skyrim chapter 2" twice over at some points soon, just due to all the stuff that's being found out with this project. :lol:

On a more serious note, wow... does this mean agility and willpower have literally no purpose?

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

My conclusion in the thread was that Agility's final outcome was a range of -5% to +5% on combat odds. For all the difference you could get out of 100 points of Speed, Strength, or Intelligence, Agility would alter 10% of combat odds :lol: And I always made characters with at least average Willpower until I tested it. After that point I reduced it to 10, like with Personality, and never suffered because of it. It's not like Daggerfall PCs resist spells anyway :D