Background questions and answers

Discuss coding questions, pull requests, and implementation details.
MeteoricDragon

Background questions and answers

Post by MeteoricDragon »

I've been working on the framework for background questions.

I created a class for questions and a list class that contains and should create a list of background questions.

What I am seeking to know is if background question text and answers can be extracted from classic Daggerfall files like much of the game is, or will I need to create the strings for the questions myself?

It can be seen here (so far): https://github.com/Interkarma/daggerfall-unity/pull/702

Deepfighter

Re: Background questions and answers

Post by Deepfighter »

You can find these questions in the arena2 folder named: BIOG00T0.TXT to BIOG17T0.TXT

You can access and edit them via a normal text editor as it is a .txt.

For your interest, I made a long time ago a fix for these BIOG files. Furthermore I created an excel sheet for easier understanding what you get when answering these questions. Hope that helps you.

On a further note: It is still unclear what AE, AO and AF means. I call for Allofich, but before that I will post below what my thoughts were, when I discussing with Jormungandr83 at Gamefaqs about these unknown variables:
There are three questions where we have no idea:

#1 You preferred criminal method is ___.
#2 You are intimate friends with ___.
#3 Of all disagreeable types, you have the most personal hatred for ___.

#4534 --> adds text phrases from the Text.rsc
AF F 7 12 +1 --> 12+1 gives +1 to the class 12 (remember the numbering of the biog-files? That's the number of the class). AF F 7 ("Attack Friend") could mean that you have a better relationship with other burglars.

Let's check #2:

a. a Monk
AF O 8 12 +1 --> +1 for the class Monk (12). AF O 8 could mean ("Attack Friend" (AF)) that this class has a lack of aggression or their resistance to your hit is higher (would make sense, as you are friend with them - you kind of hold back)
b. a Mage
AF O 8 2 +1 --> same like above and +1 for the class Mage (2)
c. a Rogue
AF O 8 8 +1 --> same like above and +1 for the class Rogue (8)

You get the idea.

a. Sanctimonious priests
AE M 8 12 +3 --> 12 (monk) +1; AE M ("Attack Enemy") this could mean an higher aggression level against the player and maybe your hit strikes harder?

That were my ideas when I last checked on the BIOG files. I did not include them as I wasn't sure about their meaning - just speculations after all.
His respond:
I got a similar impression, although I think AF and AE are "Add Friend" and "Add Enemy" as if they intended to give you a companion or recurring nemesis during the game. Yet another feature that never saw the final version! Haha.
Maybe we can work on that basis. If you have any questions regarding background questions, don't hesitate to ask, as I was for two months completely sucked in this topic for creating that fix.
Head of the German Daggerfall translation - www.daggerfalldeutsch.de
and German translator for The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim and Lore-Expert for The Elder Scrolls: Online

MeteoricDragon

Post by MeteoricDragon »

@Deepfighter thank you for that information.
Do you know which of the files is for a custom class?

I'm also looking for the location of the variable holding the file path to daggerfall installation so I can create a file path from there to read biography files.

For anyone else reading this, I have questions on what is your preferred method of reading text files.

delvisomanda

Post by delvisomanda »

I'm going to make a request, if you're doing the biography feature, I'd like you to make them easily editable for translators, just like the quests .txt and the .txt in the Text folder.

Preferred method of reading text files: Notepad++
Currently translating Daggerfall into Spanish.

MeteoricDragon

Post by MeteoricDragon »

delvisomanda wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:43 pm I'm going to make a request, if you're doing the biography feature, I'd like you to make them easily editable for translators, just like the quests .txt and the .txt in the Text folder.

Preferred method of reading text files: Notepad++
Hey, I'd love to do that If I can figure it out. Right now though I'm just learning and don't know how to make something easily translatable.

Deepfighter

Post by Deepfighter »

MeteoricDragon wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:34 pm Do you know which of the files is for a custom class?
There is no specific one. When creating a custom character class the game decides on your created custom class (skills, advantages, disadvantages) which one of the pre-generated classes come the closest to your creation and takes this one for your custom class.
MeteoricDragon wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:34 pmI'm also looking for the location of the variable holding the file path to daggerfall installation so I can create a file path from there to read biography files.
Can't help you, sorry :|
MeteoricDragon wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:34 pmFor anyone else reading this, I have questions on what is your preferred method of reading text files.
I use mostly Notepad++ as an replacement for the out-of-the-box text editor of the operation system.
delvisomanda wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:43 pm I'm going to make a request, if you're doing the biography feature, I'd like you to make them easily editable for translators, just like the quests .txt and the .txt in the Text folder.
I would not push, let the groundwork be working first. The accessibility for translators is the second step. It is of no value if the functionality cannot be guaranteed but instead we can translate it, or? MeteoricDragon is currently just figuring out the functionality - as he is still learning in this - and we know that Interkarma has already a long-term master plan for our translation purposes. So no haste and no worries delvisomanda. :)
Head of the German Daggerfall translation - www.daggerfalldeutsch.de
and German translator for The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim and Lore-Expert for The Elder Scrolls: Online