implementation of talk window

Discuss coding questions, pull requests, and implementation details.
Jay_H

Re: implementation of talk window

Post by Jay_H »

I'm having some more problems with a new quest. I've tried adding a dialog link to an NPC in a dungeon but the "Any Rumors" button is making the button not work, just like before. Don't know what I'm doing wrong.
Attachments
SAVE5.zip
(109.43 KiB) Downloaded 162 times

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

Will take a look

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

wait, are you trying to reveal a dungeon from rumors? if yes, this does not work currently. npc can only give directional info for the moment. Is there a quest in classic that does this? If not we could come up with a solution if this is needed ;) We would need to use a macro though to do it.
the name is resolved correctly - I get e.g. "I hear the Archaeologists are mad about some kind of thief in Stokcart Garden."

if this isn't the problem, can you elaborate a bit more what you are trying to do?

btw, if you want to get an entry for dungeon in the "tell me about" list you need to add anyinfo or rumors to it, like in S0000001 quest:

Code: Select all

Place _ukcrypt_ remote dungeon11 anyInfo 1015 rumors 1016
and message 1015 has an entry:

Code: Select all

___ukcrypt_ is just %di of here. Some say it's still a crypt of the Underking.
where %di resolves compass direction

we could introduce the "%loc" macro for dialog messages but I will have to test it and get Interkarma's ok since we are extending vanilla behaviour here (I just searched all vanilla quests, there seems to be no map reveal macros for dialog)

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

No, the dungeon reveal happens by talking to a static NPC. Here's how it should work:

1. Get quest to find lost person
2. Ask rumors about lost person
3. Get told to visit family member
4. Family member reveals dungeon
5. Go into dungeon to find lost person

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

starting from your savegame dialog seems to work but the location given does not exist or is not revealed:
"The Rat and Badger" - there is no such location on region map

btw, the quest version you sent to me does not contain any familymember npc

#update: restarting the quest from scratch sent me to "Yeoming Manor" which is available, testing now, yeah dialog is available for the person you look for and you are directed to a named residence. In there you take damage but not much more is happending right now

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

I was watching this dfunity gameplay video today: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQifJ0Of7eE

one interesting idea that came up around 2:54:50 was to have a question "Where am I?" - I like this idea, how about you? - I know this would extend vanilla df, but it would be kind of a convenience feature imo (and every npc should know where he/she is anyway and thus could always give a positive answer to this question).
When outdoors npc could answer with the name of the location, when indoors npc could give the name of the building and the location...
Anyway it is just an idea I want to throw around. But maybe this would give new players (like the gamer in this video) a better experience ;)

additionally npcs in a building could always know that they are in this very building when asking about it

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

I think that's a cracking idea! It's so interesting to watch new/returning players struggle with some of Daggerfall's old quirks, and this kind of addition would help a lot without changing the classic experience one bit.

Danae and I follow each other on Twitter, so if you end up implementing, I'll be sure to let her know she inspired a new feature. :)

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

I will tackle this then. Just give me a few days since my weekend is already occupied :)

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

It's all good take all the time you need. This is just a hobby, everything else comes first. :)

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

I think that's a great addition.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods