New Quest actions - enhancing classic

Discuss coding questions, pull requests, and implementation details.
Nystul

Re: New Quest actions - enhancing classic

Post by Nystul »

I like this idea

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

While this topic is here, I'd make a suggestion (for the future) of being able to trigger crime penalties as a quest action. For example, after injuring a quest NPC, the town guard can be activated for an Assault charge; or for entering a building, a Trespassing charge could issue. Everything would behave like with the ordinary crime system, but it could be invoked on demand by a quest action.

Al-Khwarizmi

Post by Al-Khwarizmi »

Jay_H wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 8:16 pm While this topic is here, I'd make a suggestion (for the future) of being able to trigger crime penalties as a quest action. For example, after injuring a quest NPC, the town guard can be activated for an Assault charge; or for entering a building, a Trespassing charge could issue. Everything would behave like with the ordinary crime system, but it could be invoked on demand by a quest action.
This would be absolutely great, especially because it could give meaning to the crimes that are currently documented but unused, like assault or high treason.

By the way, wasn't there a quest that resulted into a smuggling charge?

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

I only know of the Commoner quest that would drop your reputation by 100 points, and then raise it by 100 if you complete it successfully. I guess that's a simulated version of making criminal punishment a quest action.

Al-Khwarizmi

Post by Al-Khwarizmi »

I think it's this text that gave me the idea that smuggling is in game:

http://www.tesguides.com/tes2/misc/legaltip.htm

"Smuggling: A possibility when engaged in some of the shadier quests given by nobles and merchants."

But maybe it's not true. I don't remember experiencing it (not that I did noble and merchant quests much).

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Just storing the idea for later: the ability to reduce PC health, fatigue, and magicka via quest commands. (And while we're at it, to reduce and increase player stats such as Intelligence and Strength.)

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Jay_H wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:04 am Just storing the idea for later: the ability to reduce PC health, fatigue, and magicka via quest commands.
No problems, this can be added later.
Jay_H wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:04 am (And while we're at it, to reduce and increase player stats such as Intelligence and Strength.)
I'd say "maybe" on this one. There's some protection in place for stats and skills the quest system would need to observe. Currently only the effect system has the powers to influence these values and it has to abide by some very specific rules. I don't want either the effect system or quest system permanently damaging player's stats, so there a sandboxed way to doing this. That said, the quest system could be trained to do this correctly so its feasible.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

No problem! This is just a "wish list." Maybe in 2021 we can start to talk about how these things would work :)

Billey

Post by Billey »

Interkarma wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:34 am I'd say "maybe" on this one. There's some protection in place for stats and skills the quest system would need to observe. Currently only the effect system has the powers to influence these values and it has to abide by some very specific rules. I don't want either the effect system or quest system permanently damaging player's stats, so there a sandboxed way to doing this. That said, the quest system could be trained to do this correctly so its feasible.
At that point, it would make more sense to give the quest system the ability to add/remove(/modify) effects, then you aren't having to worry about maintaining correctness with two systems accessing the player's stats.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

I previously mentioned to Interkarma that the "create foe" quest action shouldn't send foes immediately when it triggers, so as to not make foes appear instantly at the questgiver or somewhere else. On the other hand, there are some occasions where I think it would be good to have some quest action create a foe immediately. Two of my recent quests create an enemy in a specific location while showing a text box, and while the enemy appears after 1 minute passes, the text is a bit perplexing until it spawns.

Perhaps in the future there could be a "create foe immediately" variant to tighten this kind of timing.