Advanced settings

Discuss coding questions, pull requests, and implementation details.
TheLacus

Advanced settings

Post by TheLacus »

TheLacus wrote: Interkarma, since mods are going to dissapear from the main menu, are you planning to bring in more of the options or they are to be changed only from the .ini by choice?
What do you think about an advanced graphics window, with resolution, filter types, a slider for FOV etc.?
Interkarma wrote: I'd be happy for an advanced settings page either from the launcher or in-game. :)

I'm not sure what plans creators have for their mods. I'm happy to leave integrated mods where they are if easier, although it would be awesome long term if they're split out to Lypyl's mod system. I know Lypyl is working towards that end with his enhanced sky mod, and I believe a couple of the others (birds, grass) would be reasonably trivial to port across.
TheLacus wrote: Nice, i'll start working on the settings page then. :)
Mike wrote: I'm spamming the forums today, but just need to say how pleased I am with the recent progress in general (since I'll be able to play an advanced build of Daggerfall Unity even sooner :D ), and how incredible TheLacus's recent work is in particular. And when I saw Interkarma's announcement that mods will be removed from the main menu, this kind of player-friendly in-game mod installation/settings options page was exactly what I was hoping for - thanks for your hard work!
TheLacus wrote: Thank you Mike :)

It's taking shape. The background texture is updated to reflect the filter type.
Any suggestion, what options should i place in? Does anyone have a nice picture to use as background?
tyhender wrote: omg,no anisotropic filtering! Idk if we need it, but NO ANISTROPIC FILTERING :lol:
But seriously, you should add FLAT/MODELS option, as this is really important.
TheLacus wrote: It's already in the main menu ;)
tyhender wrote: Oh,lol xD.
Is there a way to change FOV already?

Interkarma

Re: Advanced settings

Post by Interkarma »

Just an FYI related to advanced settings. Another contributor, @midopa, has changed weapon swings to a gesture-based system over my previous method of mouse direction over N frames. This creates a more classic feeling and should improve the situation for users with lower frame rates as total mouse travel is sampled.

This also has the effect of removing the following settings:
  • DebugWeaponSwings
  • WeaponSwingThreshold
  • WeaponSwingTriggerCount
And adding the following setting instead:
  • WeaponAttackThreshold (lower for less mouse travel time, higher for more mouse travel time)
The WeaponSensitivity setting remains the same and serves as an overall multiplier to swing sensitivity.

I've removed the DebugWeaponSwings Checkbox from Advanced Settings fields setup. It doesn't appear to be used at this time anyway, but just wanted to inform you of changes. :)

Narf the Mouse

Post by Narf the Mouse »

Thanks; that should help with my mouse rotation bug.
Previous experience tells me it's very easy to misunderstand the tone, intent, or meaning of what I've posted. If you have questions, ask.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Narf the Mouse wrote:Thanks; that should help with my mouse rotation bug.
Change is only related to how weapon swing gestures are handled. I'm not sure it will have any impact on mouse sampling bug in VMWare Workstation.

Narf the Mouse

Post by Narf the Mouse »

Interkarma wrote:
Narf the Mouse wrote:Thanks; that should help with my mouse rotation bug.
Change is only related to how weapon swing gestures are handled. I'm not sure it will have any impact on mouse sampling bug in VMWare Workstation.
...Well, it can't hurt, anyway. Heh.

I'm hoping it gets fixed in an update, because while the mouse "game mode" has been even more derp the last few X.Y.Z updates, it's actually been getting .Z updates, and fairly quickly.

My experience with VMware has typically been much less frequent updates.
Previous experience tells me it's very easy to misunderstand the tone, intent, or meaning of what I've posted. If you have questions, ask.

TheLacus

Post by TheLacus »

I overhauled advanced settings window to support multiple pages. This should give all space needed by various talk and inventory windows settings recently introduced and help bring more settings from ini.
gameplay.png
gameplay.png (330.49 KiB) Viewed 4466 times
video.png
video.png (334.49 KiB) Viewed 4466 times

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Whoah! You work fast! This is a great idea, and looks awesome. Well done. :)

Biboran

Post by Biboran »

You will add more options here that only in ini now?