implementation of talk window

Discuss coding questions, pull requests, and implementation details.
Nystul

Re: started implementation of talk window

Post by Nystul »

yeah would be fine as well. whatever you like most. just need the info where npcs are located, don't care to much how it can be queried ;)

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

Interkarma wrote: And do you also need directional information to the NPC - be they static or injected using "place npc"?
don't understand what you mean by directional information. Do you mean direction hints (these I can compute myself and I already know how to do it)

What would be handy would be to have region, city and building where npc is in ;)
or in case of dungeon: region and dungeon name (but we might not need the dungeon info - not sure about this yet)

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Nystul wrote: What would be handy would be to have region, city and building where npc is in ;)
or in case of dungeon: region and dungeon name (but we might not need the dungeon info - not sure about this yet)
Yep, that's all I meant. Sorry for being unclear. :)

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

I am planning to issue a pull-request very soon. Person topics will not be in/working but I want to merge back my work of the past weeks. Especially since I would like to make some changes to BaseScreenComponent.cs next but since this class is used by all other ui elements I want to have the previous changes merged into master first (in case the changes to BaseScreenComponent don't work out as planned).

reason why I want to touch BaseScreenComponent is that I would like to use backgroundcolor together with textlabels and restricted render area. Restricted render area is a text label only extension which is working fine for textlabel but not for background which is handled in parent class (BaseScreenComponent). So I will have to introduce it there as well (only optional, default would be current behaviour).

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

That's completely OK. I trust you to work it out, and we can always fix it if things go wrong. :)

I've merged your most recent PR and will work through testing as I can. Excellent work as always, looking forward to getting stuck into it.

Will also get back to the NPC information discussed above shortly.

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

made changes to BaseScreenComponent class: now background works together with TextLabel and restricted render area and TextScale property:

How do you like the background for the questions and answers? (btw. the dot in a single line needs to be fixed, just kind of low priority for now)

Al-Khwarizmi

Post by Al-Khwarizmi »

I personally prefer the classic behavior where there was a common background, and questions and answers were distinguished by foreground color, IIRC. A matter of taste I guess, though.

CM August

Post by CM August »

I'm more a fan of classic also, but it's very cool to witness how flexible this interface can be. :)

MrDowntempo

Post by MrDowntempo »

I like the different foreground colors, and the SMS style indentation, but I don't like how each message has it's own tightly cropped background. I'd prefer getting rid of their own background colors but keeping all the other changes you've implemented.

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

classic style is default anyway - this is just modern style which is optional ;)