implementation of talk window

Discuss coding questions, pull requests, and implementation details.
Hazelnut

Re: started implementation of talk window

Post by Hazelnut »

I think we should be careful not to go over the top with configurable stuff, which may seem a little hypocritical coming from someone who recently added 2 new config settings. :D

Is having just one switch for classic or enhanced text presentation not enough?

ANyway I like the whatsapp style you showed before Nystul. Great enhancement.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

Hazelnut wrote:I think we should be careful not to go over the top with configurable stuff, which may seem a little hypocritical coming from someone who recently added 2 new config settings. :D

haha yes it is a bit.
who talked about 2 switches? I am just extending functionality of textlabel to test out a few ideas ;)

I thought some screenshots of progress would be interesting for some :D
it also raises good ideas usually

NikitaTheTanner

Post by NikitaTheTanner »

Yes, the messaging style of chat windows is actually a really nice find, Nystul! It's organic and intuitive,works really well, I think. It's a bit weird seeing it in such an old game, but from the practical standpoint - it's excellent!

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

yeah we should put it in as optional setting like the inventory info panel. Not sure if really all folks will like it

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

Nystul wrote:
Hazelnut wrote:I think we should be careful not to go over the top with configurable stuff, which may seem a little hypocritical coming from someone who recently added 2 new config settings. :D

haha yes it is a bit.
who talked about 2 switches? I am just extending functionality of textlabel to test out a few ideas ;)

I was referring to the suggestion by Bilboran. Progress screens are very interesting, please do continue.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

Hazelnut wrote:
Nystul wrote:

haha yes it is a bit.

I was referring to the suggestion by Bilboran. Progress screens are very interesting, please do continue.
ok, expect more to come ;)

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

since I want to start on dialog actions of quest system I would need a vanilla daggerfall savegame where the "missing prince" quest just started (player received the letter of prince lhotun but did not speak to him).
Does anybody have such save game?

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

I am investigating on how daggerfall uses the dialog actions to populate the talk window with quest related stuff.

valuable information can found here http://www.dfworkshop.net/static_files/ ... -docs.html

nevertheless I think not all info in there is 100% correct. while I agree on command "anyInfo" to add entries in the "Tell Me About" section I think "add dialog" adds entries (together with "dialog link") in the "Where is" section. In the above html link it says that daggerfall also adds it to the "Tell Me About" section.

After testing the lady brisienna quest I think it is like this (more confirms from other people would be welcomed):
  • after leaving privateer's hold there is already a talk option for lady brisienna in the "Tell Me About" section (comming from the anyInfo command) even though the player did not receive the letter (this is a limitation of daggerfall but it matches the description for anyInfo from above link)
  • after receiving the letter if the pc travels to the location where lady brisienna is staying there is an entry in the "Where Is -> People" list. I think this is comming from "add dialog" command (the entry is only added after player received letter - one can check this by reloading a save before letter has arrived and traveling to the same location - talk option is not present in this case - so it is added when receiving letter).
    You will get directional hints as answer for this entry (or the tavern will be marked on your map).
    When you go to a different town than where lady brisienna is present this entry is not there
It is interesting how involved this stuff is, I never used this talk interface too much but it is nice what could be done in theory with this if you write more sophisticated quests (especially with the "dialog link" command which can be used - if i understand correctly - to reveal more talk options after talking about a different topic first) ;)

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

first quest injected topic (anyInfo tag):

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Awesome work Nystul, you're making great progress. :)