implementation of talk window

Discuss coding questions, pull requests, and implementation details.
Interkarma

Re: started implementation of talk window

Post by Interkarma »

This is great! I'm very much enjoying watching you work through through the issues and surmounting them. :)

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

Interkarma wrote:This is great! I'm very much enjoying watching you work through through the issues and surmounting them. :)
It is a skirmish with outcome unknown :')

Deepfighter

Post by Deepfighter »

Nystul wrote: do you think a similar but darker yellow color would do the trick(or should we keep the blue color)?
Thanks for your work on this!

Personally, the darker yellow is not that easy on the eyes, and the distinguishing between questions and answers is a bit harder. I am not totally against changing the standard color, if needed, though I do like and favor the blue one.
Head of the German Daggerfall translation - www.daggerfalldeutsch.de
and German translator for The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim and Lore-Expert for The Elder Scrolls: Online

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

Deepfighter wrote:
Nystul wrote: do you think a similar but darker yellow color would do the trick(or should we keep the blue color)?
Thanks for your work on this!

Personally, the darker yellow is not that easy on the eyes, and the distinguishing between questions and answers is a bit harder. I am not totally against changing the standard color, if needed, though I do like and favor the blue one.
ok will leave it like vanilla then ;)

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

I had a good play with this and the face icons etc is all working fantastically. Great stuff so far!

Regarding the conversation colours, my personal preference would be to swap them... I always expect the question to be in same colour as the text I clicked on (yellow) and the answers to stand out... which the blue does.

Swapping the colours round would stop my constant confusion, and would be far superior in my opinion. Improving the game significantly for me, anyone else agree?

Suppose it may confuse long time players for a couple of minutes until they adjusted. (NBD IMO :ugeek:)
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

NikitaTheTanner

Post by NikitaTheTanner »

Regarding the conversation colours, my personal preference would be to swap them... I always expect the question to be in same colour as the text I clicked on (yellow) and the answers to stand out... which the blue does.

Swapping the colours round would stop my constant confusion, and would be far superior in my opinion. Improving the game significantly for me, anyone else agree?
Makes sense and I agree, but the color should probably be something else, not light blue as it gets lost on the gray background. White stands out quite a bit on the other hand, at least from the screenshots. So yeah, good idea, but the color should be chosen so it stands out AND is easy to read at the same time.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Nystul, something I've noticed with name generation is the namebank seems tied to the sprite set (i.e. Breton sprites always have a Breton name). In certain desert climates (e.g. Sentinel) there are Breton mobile NPCs with Redguard names.

I've added these details to MapsFile.GetWorldClimateSettings(). When setting up NPC talk window, will also need to check the current world climate and use returned ClimateSettings.People for the NPC's appearance and ClimateSettings.Names for their namebank.

This is only a fairly recent change as I missed this earlier on. I still need to fix Person resource to use this distinction as well (e.g. Lhotun's brother in his quest has a random Breton name and should be a random Redguard name to match classic). This is on my hit-list for 0.4 stable. I could have sworn I fixed this, but his quest is still returning a Breton name. Maybe a regression of some kind, or I forgot to check in change. Anyway, that's besides the point - you're doing an amazing job with this so far! :)

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

Hazelnut wrote:I had a good play with this and the face icons etc is all working fantastically. Great stuff so far!

Suppose it may confuse long time players for a couple of minutes until they adjusted. (NBD IMO :ugeek:)
thanks!
I swapped color of top box (player's sayings) to blue and it matches now the question. Much better. We can decide on the exact color for questions resp. answers. Nothing set in stone. But the matching does an amazong job for better readability and clarity.
NikitaTheTanner wrote:

Makes sense and I agree, but the color should probably be something else, not light blue as it gets lost on the gray background. White stands out quite a bit on the other hand, at least from the screenshots. So yeah, good idea, but the color should be chosen so it stands out AND is easy to read at the same time.
I would like to save white for highlight (selection) color - there is this copy to notebook functionality and I want to make clear which text item from the right window is going to be copied

Interkarma wrote:Nystul, something I've noticed with name generation is the namebank seems tied to the sprite set (i.e. Breton sprites always have a Breton name). In certain desert climates (e.g. Sentinel) there are Breton mobile NPCs with Redguard names.

I've added these details to MapsFile.GetWorldClimateSettings(). When setting up NPC talk window, will also need to check the current world climate and use returned ClimateSettings.People for the NPC's appearance and ClimateSettings.Names for their namebank.

This is only a fairly recent change as I missed this earlier on. I still need to fix Person resource to use this distinction as well (e.g. Lhotun's brother in his quest has a random Breton name and should be a random Redguard name to match classic). This is on my hit-list for 0.4 stable. I could have sworn I fixed this, but his quest is still returning a Breton name. Maybe a regression of some kind, or I forgot to check in change. Anyway, that's besides the point - you're doing an amazing job with this so far! :)
will take a look - thanks for pointing that out

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

Nystul wrote:
Hazelnut wrote:I had a good play with this and the face icons etc is all working fantastically. Great stuff so far!

thanks!
I swapped color of top box (player's sayings) to blue and it matches now the question. Much better. We can decide on the exact color for questions resp. answers. Nothing set in stone. But the matching does an amazong job for better readability and clarity.
Aha, interesting -I meant swap the colours in the chat pane so questions asked were yellow and answers in blue. I did not explicitly say that though did I? Ha, silly ambiguous me.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

Hazelnut wrote: Aha, interesting -I meant swap the colours in the chat pane so questions asked were yellow and answers in blue. I did not explicitly say that though did I? Ha, silly ambiguous me.
i got you there, but I did it on purpose the other way around ;) but we can change it every time
next pull request is coming soon. You might give it a try and tell me afterwards.

Will need your help heavily with all those macros in text records of text.rsc file ;)

next version of talk window (next pull request) will support proper list navigation (but lots of topics missing or dummy), proper location enumeration (with some exceptions like General only showing Dagerfall Castle as Palace and Regional having dummy entries), dummy questions and answers with tone select - answers will also contain example text records with unresolved macros ;)
There is a bug with a character getting cropped in the right subwindow I am trying to find currently