implementation of talk window

Discuss coding questions, pull requests, and implementation details.
Nystul

implementation of talk window

Post by Nystul »

just to let you know - I started implementation of talk window.

currently i got only basic window loading (upon mobile npc click) and talk mode/category selection, but it is a start
will need help from many people including Interkarma and Allofich for talk functionality ;)

R.D.

Re: started implementation of talk window

Post by R.D. »

Great! I haven't looked at the talk stuff much since it wasn't in DF Unity yet but I'll try to help if/when I can.

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

I was wondering if anyone had analysed how the daggerfall conversation logic works behind the scenes yet? I'm not sure we can get very far with this until that's been done. I'd be happy to implement the conversation logic if it was known.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

this is the task - to find out how it is done

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Nystul is correct. A big part of the job is reverse engineering systems while implementing them. If you want to take on the talk window ahead of schedule, you'll need to do the leg work on how that system works as well.

There isn't too much happening behind the scenes. The talk interface is just a way of delivering map discovery, regional enumeration, certain quest text (rumours, etc.), and reveal open shopkeeper quests. Most of the guts of what's needed is already in the code. The whole thing is wrapped in some skill checks for flavour, which is where some work still needs to be done.

I can help with this, but I'm not ready to be here yet. All I want to do right now is work on getting main quest operational then start rolling out spells and effects. I'm happy for you to work on this, but you will need to be fairly independent on reverse engineering until I'm ready to be here. :)

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

Not sure if you were talking to me or Nystul, but I have no plans to reverse engineer the daggerfall conversation logic at this time. Happy to code, as I offered him, but not ready to dive into Allofich's reverse-engineering domain yet. :)
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

I was talking to you, reinforcing in more detail what Nystul was saying.

That's fine mate. I have that feature scheduled for 0.5 and will get there when the time is right.

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

I am planning to try to reverse engineer as good as i can. What i meant with i will need help is that i will need some advice where to look and how to do it best (allofich might be able to point me into the right direction).
Furthermore I will likely have questions about text layouting and general considerations where I expect that I will ask for Interkarma's advise.
The thing is the coding itself is not the challenge, the reverse engineering is.
So that's what I am trying to do. ;)

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

npc portraits and names are now supported... see screenshots below.

@Interkarma: I proceeded the implementation of the MobilePersonNPC class you started (basically the things you marked as TODO in interconnected classes MobilePersonNPC, MobilePersonMotor, MobilePersonBillboard - MobilePersonNPC becoming the manager class) -

so you will have to review my changes when I am finished.

not too much changes but all npc related stuff like gender, race, name, portrait etc. will be in MobilePersonNPC class now and handed over to other classes - I think that was your intention anyway if I understood it right.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Geez, I thought we weren't gonna see this stuff until 0.5. You guys rock!