implementation of talk window

Discuss coding questions, pull requests, and implementation details.
Nystul

Re: started implementation of talk window

Post by Nystul »

implemented add dialog command.
still need to implement dialog link behaviour so that talk options are also revealed when mentioned in one of the answers (as mentioned in http://www.dfworkshop.net/static_files/ ... tml#rumor5)

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Thumbs up man. :)

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

I have dialog link resolving for "tell me about"-entries working

currently no entries in the "where is" section for quest resources are created - will come later

furthermore I managed to implement rumors for "tell me about"-entries. Did a lot of vanilla daggerfall testing and have important new findings, e.g. I know now more about %hnt and %hnt2 macros ;) for "tell me about"-entries %hnt is a random anyinfo message, %hnt2 is a random rumors message (%hnt is used for direction hints as well but not exclusively as believed in http://www.dfworkshop.net/static_files/ ... qrcsymbols).

btw, social groups of npcs are used to choose specific text record ids - why are fighters guild npcs in socialgroup 23 (vampires) instead of socialgroup 11 (FightersGuild)? Is this an error in data or did they foresee the skyrim plot :P

I am a bit hesitant about issuing an intermediate pull request (although the number of changes is quite high)... but since I have implemented save serialization for quest dialog entries in the pick lists and these implementation details might change in further development there might arise some problems with savegames.
Could be that savegames made now (after pull request changes in effect) could become invalid when implementation details change (or better said the conversation stuff in the newly introduced ConversationData.txt file)

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

I'm happy for you to send PR whenever ready. Take your time. :)

It's awesome all the odds and ends one can solve while building out larger systems like this.

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

getting the same nonsense answers in dfunity as in vanilla makes me confident that social group dependend answers are "correct"

vanilla df:

dfunity:

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Woo! That looks great! :)

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

Interkarma wrote:Woo! That looks great! :)
thanks ;)

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

hi interkarma!

I am running into issues with npc homeRegion and homeTown...

"where is/person" entries only should appear if person is in same town as pc.
right now this data either aquired by person resource hometown and homeregion or when expanding "___person_" macro gives wrong hometown and homeregion (although according to http://www.dfworkshop.net/static_files/ ... qrcsymbols there does only exist a hometown for persons in vanilla. there does no homeregion exist in vanilla but the extra info could come handy)

but there is this problem: for npcs a random hometown is returned, e.g. prince lhotun of sentinel will get a random town instead of "sentinel" as hometown. this leads to problems, since i need to get the npc's town for correctly hiding/displaying the talk topics

could you take a look if this could be changed? let me know what you think about it ;)

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

My understanding (which is always open to improvement) is the home town is just for flavour purposes. An example is the NPC kidnapped by a giant in M0B00Y16. They make reference to their home town in conversation, but it never factors into the quest itself. It doesn't make sense for the NPC to have a home location of the dungeon they were rescued from. The only solution is to give them a random home town so their dialog has some depth.

So I added the home town purely for flavour purposes, and that has been my only encounter with this macro to date. Would you be able to give an example of the source text you're expanding where this doesn't make sense? That way I can see the usage in context and hopefully find a solution that satisfies everyone. :)

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

Well e.g. every npc in the court of sentinel. No-one is from sentinel town which is weird.

But the hometown thing would not bother me if I have a field inside the npc/person data that is telling me where the npc is currently located

And macro resolving is wrong, above link says: "If _foo_ is a Person resource then ___foo_ (three leading underscores) gives the town name where _foo_ can be found. While __foo_ (two leading underscores) gives the name of the house/shop in that town where _foo_ can be found."
Dfunity behavior does not match this at all returning the random hometown instead