Selling horses & carts

Discuss coding questions, pull requests, and implementation details.
Hazelnut

Selling horses & carts

Post by Hazelnut »

So, getting close to finishing the ability to sell items in stores, albeit with completely stupid BS pricing - the real calculations will come later on when its been reverse engineered from classic. (which I have zero skill & experience in as yet, so don't hold your breath unless Allofich drops that mana from heaven as he is wont to do)

Anyway, I realised that you can sell Horses & Carts in general stores in classic. It's quite problematic because if you sell the cart you simply lose all of the items stored in it. I started to implement, but there are a few issues that would need handling and I'm really not sure it's worth implementing.

Any opinions?
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

Interkarma

Re: Selling horses & carts

Post by Interkarma »

I'd be inclined to not make the cart sellable. At least in DFU you wouldn't lose the items (just access to the entity item collection through inventory) but it's still a frightening moment for new players who might sell cart by accident.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Make the cart sellable for a quantity equal to the sum of all objects it's holding! :D

...I'll see myself out.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

That's one way to "sell all" :lol:

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

a good solution would be to not allow to sell the cart until it is empty - dfu could display a message "cannot sell cart because it is not empty - remove all items from it and then try again selling it"

the nice thing would be - if you really want you can do it but need to do it on purpose - you have to take actions that you cannot do by accident

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Yeah, that is a really good thought. Would be easy to do as well. Nice one. :)

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

In hindsight I should have phrased the question like this:

Does anyone see any gameplay value in being able to sell your horse or cart?

To me it seems like something rather pointless since there are no downsides to ownership and I doubt anyone would ever really do it. I mean what's the scenario? You are reviled in every region and get sent to jail, when you get out they fined you all your money and you have to sell your trusty steed to scrape together enough coinage to feed yourself?

:D

You can see why I was struggling to see the point, but if enough people think it's worth it for atmospheric rather than pragmatic reasons then I'll add it.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

When you put it that way, my vote would be just to make wagon non-sellable. :)

Man with No Name

Post by Man with No Name »

I raided a few stores at night and have 10 horses and carts in my inventory that I can't sell. I'd vote for not being able to sell a cart unless empty, and to have the ability to sell horses and carts.

mikeprichard

Post by mikeprichard »

Man with No Name wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:38 pm I raided a few stores at night and have 10 horses and carts in my inventory that I can't sell. I'd vote for not being able to sell a cart unless empty, and to have the ability to sell horses and carts.
Same here.