Unity 5.5 on High Sierra?

Discuss coding questions, pull requests, and implementation details.
Dimillian

Unity 5.5 on High Sierra?

Post by Dimillian »

I have no idea what your dev workflow is, but I'm doing it on Unity 5.5 + VSCode. And now I've just upgraded my Mac to High Sierra, also merged the main upstream repo to my own branches. And now all I get when I build and run is a blue screen.
So maybe master is dirty and unplayable, but I don't think so. I bet it's High Sierra + Unity 5.5 which don't play well.

I know it's maybe not necessary at all and all, but is there a plan to update the code to the latest Unity? Also on Mac I would benefit from a better integration with Visual Studio, as debugging with MonoDevelop is just a pain. Maybe it's too much work, I can also look into it, if it's just about calling different API, I might be able to do it.

Interkarma

Re: Unity 5.5 on High Sierra?

Post by Interkarma »

The current master branch should work OK on Unity 5.6 and 2017 without many manual changes. I was testing on 2017.1.0f3 the other day (it was your query on Twitter that prompted me to take a look). The main thing to remember is to set your Player settings to full .NET 2.0, not the default .NET 2.0 Subset.

I'm likely to bump up to 2017.x once I resolve a collision issue with procedural terrain that manifested in Unity 5.6 and later. For now, 5.5 remains the current version for Daggerfall Unity developers to work in.

I'm sorry to hear you're having issues with this after an OS upgrade. Maybe try deleting and cloning project fresh from git. The clean-out might get things working again. Otherwise not sure what to recommend. I work mostly with Windows and Linux, I don't own a Mac to test with right now. I'd love to pick one up one day to round out my test machines though.

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

Sorry to hear of your woes Dimillian, hope you get it working again so you can get back to your code fun. I hear you about MonoDevelop - it's a nice editor on the whole, but they may as well relabel the debug button "crash unity russian roulette"!!

Great to hear that DFU can move to the latest Unity editor once a single issue is resolved. I'm hoping the up to date linux version will have had some improvements.

EDIT: Actually, what's the impact of that issue - I'm tempted to move my unity version on my linux laptop before the official update if it's not really going to affect my development work.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

Dimillian

Post by Dimillian »

Thanks guys, I have an old 5.5, trying to update to 5.5.4p4 to see if it solves the issue. I'll go to 2017 if not.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Good luck! I hope you can get things working.

Dimillian

Post by Dimillian »

Upgraded to latest 2017 build, updated the API and set the API compatibility to full dotNet. And it works great !!! :D

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Cool! Happy you got there. :)

You might find yourself falling through the ground when first loading an exterior. A quick reload should fix it. I'll chase down this problem later when I can, main quest is still my priority right now.

Narf the Mouse

Post by Narf the Mouse »

Interkarma wrote:Cool! Happy you got there. :)

You might find yourself falling through the ground when first loading an exterior. A quick reload should fix it. I'll chase down this problem later when I can, main quest is still my priority right now.
I recall having a problem like that, and IIRC, Terrain/TerrainData are very picky about what order you set the data in. From what I recall, setting the data in one order updates a frame later, while the correct order updates immediately.

I couldn't find any confirmation on a google search, so it may be fixed in later versions. Or I may be imagining things. ;)
Previous experience tells me it's very easy to misunderstand the tone, intent, or meaning of what I've posted. If you have questions, ask.