Unintended consequence of allowing player into all houses

Discuss coding questions, pull requests, and implementation details.
Hazelnut

Unintended consequence of allowing player into all houses

Post by Hazelnut »

There are some houses with shopkeepers and all the rest of a shop stuff - including a sign outside, but which are not marked as actual shops in DF data files. So they don't show as orange, are called "Residence" and you can enter, but the shopkeeper doesn't react.

The static NPCs are marked as being in social group 'merchants' but the building type is for example 'house2'.

I classic you can't enter, it just says "This house has nothing of value."

Not sure if this has been discussed before, and just wondered how we should handle it.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

Nystul

Re: Unintended consequence of allowing player into all houses

Post by Nystul »

could be the furniture stores that were cut before release

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

Well the one I found was setup like a blacksmith.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

There are quite a few of these, including taverns that are marked as a residence (at block level) and contain no scpecial building data at map level. Gothway garden has one such tavern-residence.

Unfortunately, the exact method Daggerfall uses to link map building data to block buildings is unknown, and I've had to do this another way. The ability to enter all buildings is a side-effect of my implementation.

I'm just sitting on this issue for now. The problem is really one of game data not matching the location. Options are to fix the game data (messy in a lot of ways) or just find a way to block player from entering problem buildings. The second option is superior, but I don't have a good general way of identifying these buildings at this time.

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

Or just leave it as it is and allow player to enter which I like most anyway. Use your fantasy to explain it :)

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Nystul wrote:Or just leave it as it is and allow player to enter which I like most anyway. Use your fantasy to explain it :)
I like this solution as well. :)

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

Interkarma wrote:
Nystul wrote:Or just leave it as it is and allow player to enter which I like most anyway. Use your fantasy to explain it :)
I like this solution as well. :)
Thirded! (now I know the situation) 8-)

MrDowntempo

Post by MrDowntempo »

This is interesting. Fixing all the data and adding furniture stores etc. would be phenomenally cool, especially if turned out to be a superior system than Hearthstone. Obviously, that would be a lot of non mainline work though and probably more suited for mods.

A simpler suggestion would be a Nystul's where perhaps the vendors said things like "We're closed for renovations" or "We haven't opened up yet and are still under construction." or "We've sold all our inventory, please come back later." or "We were robbed! Damn the thieves' guild to oblivion!" ;)

Al-Khwarizmi

Post by Al-Khwarizmi »

MrDowntempo wrote:A simpler suggestion would be a Nystul's where perhaps the vendors said things like "We're closed for renovations" or "We haven't opened up yet and are still under construction." or "We've sold all our inventory, please come back later." or "We were robbed! Damn the thieves' guild to oblivion!" ;)
I second this one.

Blue Footed Booby

Post by Blue Footed Booby »

MrDowntempo wrote:....

A simpler suggestion would be a Nystul's where perhaps the vendors said things like "We're closed for renovations" or "We haven't opened up yet and are still under construction." or "We've sold all our inventory, please come back later." or "We were robbed! Damn the thieves' guild to oblivion!" ;)
Please, I'm begging you, don't have the game lie to the player. If the player realizes what's happening there's no point preserving immersion because they already know it's a cheeky "this space not implemented" sign. If they don't realize, especially if they're new to the game, they may waste their time coming back because they've been trained by other games that messages like these indicate an area will have significance later in the plot.