unity 2018.1 - looking forward to "c# job system"

Discuss coding questions, pull requests, and implementation details.
Nystul

unity 2018.1 - looking forward to "c# job system"

Post by Nystul »

just found a video of new features in unity 2018.1 beta (and hopefully soon in 2018.1)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRHMB4MWSFA

especially the job system sounds interesing. maybe it can be used to help when terrain tiles get laid out... but not sure this depends if api calls are possible from within such jobs

Interkarma

Re: unity 2018.1 - looking forward to "c# job system"

Post by Interkarma »

Thanks for the video, that all looks cool!

I need to step up the Unity version again soon. Will make this a higher priority after final 0.4 build is up (which I think will be this weekend, I'm fairly happy with where it's at right now).

I'll be moving up to 2017.x to start with though, until 2018 versions are better established.

Nystul

Re: unity 2018.1 - looking forward to "c# job system"

Post by Nystul »

What I learned from an introduction video on youtube so far is that you cannot use unity api calls in the job system, but what is shown is that there are special classes handling access to some vital things like unity transforms.
This is especially interesting for one issue we have with the streaming world repositioning (switching everything back into coordinate origin) where there usually happens - even on fast systems - a pause. I hope that this might improve the situation decreasing the time of the halt or maybe even allow to get rid of it completely.