GitHub Desktop

Discuss coding questions, pull requests, and implementation details.
MeteoricDragon

GitHub Desktop

Post by MeteoricDragon »

While in Github Desktop, I have the master branch selected, and there are six checkmark-able changed files that have been under "changes" for the past 7 days. Soundreplacement.cs, VideoReplacement.cs, DaggerfallAutomap.shader, GlobalFog.shader, ProjectSettings.asset, and ProjectVersion.txt. They each have yellow boxes with yellow circles next to them. I've been clicking on Fetch for master branch but those changed files still remain. They aren't files that I have modified. I've been looking at the history section and I can see that a lot more files than those six I mention have been changed. I'm not sure why those are the only ones listed.

Interkarma

Re: GitHub Desktop

Post by Interkarma »

If you have "changes" open, these are files that are different on your end compared to master. If you select them, you'll typically see a difference preview on the right showing what the changes are.

If you don't care about changes on your end, you can just right-click file and select "discard changes" to revert back to master copy. Then you can click Sync to ensure you have the latest files.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

If you don't mind, I might let others in the community help field some of these questions as well. I don't always have much time to assist. :)

In the meantime, some great resources for GitHub and their desktop client can be found on GitHub Guides and Desktop Guides.

You can also find some great tutorials around Unity's workflow (such as adding and referencing components) on the Unity Learn site. There are some excellent free courses around the web as well.

MeteoricDragon

Post by MeteoricDragon »

Thanks, that's fine. I have referenced the tutorials but I have run into a problem. While trying to publish my branch so I can submit a PR, I get the following message:
Authentication failed. You may not have permission to access the repository or the repository may have been archived. Open options and verify that you're signed in with an account that has permission to access this repository.
So I opened options and verified that I'm signed in.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

I had that same warning when I was accidentally trying to upload to the administrator repository. You'll want to upload to your own copy of the repository, and then when your copy is written onto, you can tell github to compare your repository with the administrator one. Then the pull request becomes possible.

MeteoricDragon

Post by MeteoricDragon »

Jay_H wrote: Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:36 am I had that same warning when I was accidentally trying to upload to the administrator repository. You'll want to upload to your own copy of the repository, and then when your copy is written onto, you can tell github to compare your repository with the administrator one. Then the pull request becomes possible.
Ok, I think I made a PR successfully. Since I forked Daggerfall Unity from the administrator repository. If any commits are made to the administrator repository after I download my fork do I need to re-copy my copy of his repository? :? or does my fork copy those changes?

Right now I have the cloned copy of DFU from Interkarma, and the cloned copy from my fork of interkarma's master. I'd want to develop with my copy of the fork, right?

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Great stuff, thank you for that. I can see the PR there and will process this as soon as I have time. If I have any feedback or need changes made before merging, I will add that to the comments on the PR.

And yep you've got it right - develop on your fork and send your changes to me via PR. It also helps to make a branch on your end for changes so you can keep them separate from the master code.

MeteoricDragon

Post by MeteoricDragon »

Interkarma wrote: Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:38 am Great stuff, thank you for that. I can see the PR there and will process this as soon as I have time. If I have any feedback or need changes made before merging, I will add that to the comments on the PR.

And yep you've got it right - develop on your fork and send your changes to me via PR. It also helps to make a branch on your end for changes so you can keep them separate from the master code.
Does my fork update with changes that you commit to your master?

TheLacus

Post by TheLacus »

MeteoricDragon wrote: Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:08 pm
Interkarma wrote: Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:38 am Great stuff, thank you for that. I can see the PR there and will process this as soon as I have time. If I have any feedback or need changes made before merging, I will add that to the comments on the PR.

No, but you can use git pull --rebase after Interkarma accepted your PR. You can also use git pull but this creates a merge commit.

MeteoricDragon

Post by MeteoricDragon »

TheLacus wrote: Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:27 pm
MeteoricDragon wrote: Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:08 pm

No, but you can use git pull --rebase after Interkarma accepted your PR. You can also use git pull but this creates a merge commit.
I've looked up git pull --rebase, and I kind of understand what it does. rebasing so your commits aren't created. But I don't understand where it gets input, do i type it in some kind of command prompt?

EDIT: I see.. it's a seperate program from github desktop...