Experimental Smooth Crouch

Discuss coding questions, pull requests, and implementation details.
Channel1

Re: Experimental Smooth Crouch

Post by Channel1 »

Interkarma wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:51 pm
MeteoricDragon wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:42 am Can anyone tell me a place where I can test a function to disable standing if the player doesn't have headroom?
A great spot is the angled bit of wall in the stone corridor leading out of the starting cave in Privateer's Hold. You can crouch down, wedge yourself under the angled bit, then stand back up again and your head will poke through the geometry.

There's a few other little spots like this (stand on top of shelves and bookcases close to the ceiling like the imp room in PH). It's not a massive problem though, the player capsule itself shouldn't be allow to clip through the planes. Just the camera can poke through.

It's something I'm going to address later in a polishing pass if you don't feel like tackling it now.

Edit: Just realised you have already addressed this in your PR. Awesome! :D
Reeeaaaalllyy late, but shelves in inns can mess this up too...
Edit: I actually had to crouch back down and then do the groundme command to escape, so I'm pretty sure the player hitbox(?) actually got stuck in (or between) the walls.
Edit 2: In the latest build #107 crouching isn't working for me, i tap control and I bob about half way down, and then straight back up again, I've tried holding control too, and it did the same thing, has this been fixed on GitHub?

MeteoricDragon

Post by MeteoricDragon »

Interkermit wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:00 am
MeteoricDragon wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:42 am Can anyone tell me a place where I can test a function to disable standing if the player doesn't have headroom?
A great spot is the angled bit of wall in the stone corridor leading out of the starting cave in Privateer's Hold. You can crouch down, wedge yourself under the angled bit, then stand back up again and your head will poke through the geometry.

There's a few other little spots like this (stand on top of shelves and bookcases close to the ceiling like the imp room in PH). It's not a massive problem though, the player capsule itself shouldn't be allow to clip through the planes. Just the camera can poke through.

It's something I'm going to address later in a polishing pass if you don't feel like tackling it now.

Edit: I actually had to crouch back down and then do the groundme command to escape, so I'm pretty sure the player hitbox(?) actually got stuck in (or between) the walls.
Edit 2: In the latest build #107 crouching isn't working for me, i tap control and I bob about half way down, and then straight back up again, I've tried holding control too, and it did the same thing, has this been fixed on GitHub?
@Interkermit
Does this behavior you mentioned still exist?

@interkarma
I found a bug, If mode of transport is changed to horse or cart while crouching. movement speed stays slow until loading a save game.

Channel1

Post by Channel1 »

MeteoricDragon wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 8:34 pm
Interkermit wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:00 am

@Interkermit
Does this behavior you mentioned still exist?

@interkarma
I found a bug, If mode of transport is changed to horse or cart while crouching. movement speed stays slow until loading a save game.
Build #107 i think (0.5.33), yes. I do get a quite bad framerate if it means anything to you, and rebinding the key doesn't seem to work. When testing I just loaded up my latest save, so it's probably a separate bug from the one you found. As mentioned in my previous post, when i tap the button my character bobs down about half way, and then straight back up again, and when i hold the crouch button it does the same thing, just once I let go of the button.