Interesting Finds for Daggerfall Rumors

Discuss coding questions, pull requests, and implementation details.
TheExceptionist

Interesting Finds for Daggerfall Rumors

Post by TheExceptionist »

I remember a while ago poking around one of the old Daggerfall wikis that some quests generate rumors depending on the status of the quest (accepted, failed, completed).

Example Quest (Rumors at bottom - Any news dialogue?) http://en.uesp.net/wiki/Daggerfall:Hunt ... ycanthrope

Please let me know what you think.
Attachments
A screenshot of the rumor dialogue from the wiki
A screenshot of the rumor dialogue from the wiki
examplerumor.png (8.35 KiB) Viewed 3182 times
Last edited by TheExceptionist on Wed May 02, 2018 6:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nystul

Re: Interesting Finds for Daggerfall Rumors

Post by Nystul »

This is already implemented and working.
What is missing are general rumors (wars, new rulers, etc.)

TheExceptionist

Ahhh I see. I'll try to see if I can figure that out too.

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

For the moment 10 placeholder rumors are generated from the new ruler set but without macro resolving. And all other types are not generated at all

TheExceptionist

Well, were you guys already aware that a rumors.dat file (original daggerfall) would be generated in a each savegame folder? With the most recent rumors.dat file generated mirror in the root arena2 directory? These are the first rumors generated on a new save file. I'll try to see happens as I continue to play.
Attachments
pic of a formatted rumors dat file
pic of a formatted rumors dat file
rumors.PNG (26.58 KiB) Viewed 3155 times

MrFlibble

Post by MrFlibble »

Do the general rumours actually do anything? The promo text in the early demo heavily implies that an effectively living world was planned, with various events happening around the player on the grand scale, but I'm not sure if this ended up to any significant extent in the final game. Or are the ruler rumours just pieces of random text that are intended to create a illusion of a living world?

BTW, there are also hints in the rumours shown to the player at early stages of the game IIRC, suggesting that the player join a guild, ask for jobs, visit royal courts and I think something about shopping too.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Illusion. They're generated in real time, particularly the rulers of minor fiefdoms, like the "X was deposed, Y is the new ruler of Ykalon." Same with the rumors of an affair, and so on. To have a living backbone of events that generate rumors, that would make a real living world!

The helpful rumors only show up during the tutorial, and due to a timer glitch, that usually expires before the player makes it to Daggerfall City. So most people never got to see the tutorial rumors.

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

Would be interesting if we could later import these rumors when importing vanilla savegames.
A question I would like to find the answer to is: is the total number of generated rumors by vanilla always fixed and thus do generic rumors and quest rumors sum up to a fixed number or do quest rumors increase the number?

MrFlibble

Post by MrFlibble »

Jay_H wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:14 pm The helpful rumors only show up during the tutorial, and due to a timer glitch, that usually expires before the player makes it to Daggerfall City. So most people never got to see the tutorial rumors.
Hmm, I certainly got these while playing without the tutorial once I'd escape from Privateer's Hold. I'm not sure when exactly they would stop showing up, maybe after you complete a random side quest.