Build #114/Win 7 64-bit - local town map location names don't save [RESOLVED]

mikeprichard

Build #114/Win 7 64-bit - local town map location names don't save [RESOLVED]

Post by mikeprichard »

I think this is Nystul's territory, but after having revealed all shop/tavern/guild names on the local map in the city of Daggerfall, then saving and reloading the game, the building names all disappeared from the map. This may be a known issue, but I haven't had this problem with certain other town maps in the Daggerfall region (e.g. all revealed building names on the local map in Chesterwark have persisted across my saves).
Last edited by mikeprichard on Tue May 22, 2018 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nystul

Re: Build #113/Win 7 64-bit - local town map location names don't save

Post by Nystul »

depends if it is a problem of automap or discovery system ;)

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Can you please provide a save game to help reproduce the problem? Thank you Mike.

mikeprichard

Post by mikeprichard »

I've attached the save with my test character just outside the Daggerfall city Fighters Guild. Just before making this save, I had hiked around the city and discovered all the shops/taverns/guilds by a combination of using the info mode on some buildings from outside and entering other buildings, just as I had done in Chesterwark city previously. All such building names were revealed on the Daggerfall city map when I saved, but when I load the game, the names no longer appear.

I'd appreciate your taking a look when you have time and letting me know what's up!
Attachments
SAVE0.zip
(124.36 KiB) Downloaded 108 times

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Thanks for the save. :) Discovery is working normally for me in that save. Once I discover buildings then save, they stay discovered across multiple sessions.

Do something for me if you can. Try right-clicking DaggerfallUnity.exe and "run as administrator" each time you open and let me know if problem still continues with elevated permissions.

Also please attach a copy of the output log directly after discovering buildings and saving (before closing game), and then a second copy of the logs after closing and loading up game again.
discovery.jpg
discovery.jpg (100.02 KiB) Viewed 2734 times

mikeprichard

Post by mikeprichard »

Running the DFU .exe as admin worked - cheers! I've attached the two output logs produced after running as admin ("1" is just after saving, "2" is just after loading) and running without admin privileges ("3" and "4"). But even more strangely, after having run as admin once and producing logs 1 and 2, with all building names correctly persisting, I then exited DFU and re-ran not as admin to produce logs 3 and 4, when again - unlike when I originally reported the issue - the building names correctly persisted. Confused...

For my own info, could you please explain at a non-techie level why the problem occurred before I started running as admin?
Attachments
output_log1-4.zip
(21.23 KiB) Downloaded 107 times

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Something I've encountered a few times recently is that Windows is blocking DaggerfallUnity.exe from accessing the various game files correctly. Other symptoms can include empty maps and UIs not loading properly. In your case, once the files are added to the save games properly, they should persist.

Another solution could be to "unblock" the .zip file when you download an update (right-click > properties > tick or click "unblock" > ok). Then unzip and play normally.

I don't have a good general solution for this right now. As things approach 1.0, I'd like to have a fully standalone distribution (all game files bundled) so I can start resolving some of these issues and add some more conveniences.

mikeprichard

Post by mikeprichard »

Got it, thanks - I'll just keep running the DFU .exe as admin for now. And speaking of conveniences, I've been posting even more random ideas to the Mods & Features General board (Controls: Run/Sneak keybinds as optional toggles, Character UI: improved tooltip etc. suggestions) - but most of those I understand will likely need to wait at least a few months as lower priority quality of life enhancements. At any rate, appreciate your time with yet another one of my many forum topics. :)

mikeprichard

Re: Build #114/Win 7 64-bit - local town map location names don't save

Post by mikeprichard »

It's happened again, this time with new build #114 even when running the DFU .exe as admin, now in the city of Aldingwall. I've attached a) the test save, b) the first output log created with several building names discovered on the local map just after saving but with the game not having been closed (log "1"), and c) the second output log created with the names having disappeared just after loading (log "2"). This may be a Win 7-specific problem and is probably lower priority right now, but FYI until you're able to nail down a fix. Thanks again.
Attachments
Output Logs 1-2.zip
(11.61 KiB) Downloaded 111 times
SAVE1.zip
(172.49 KiB) Downloaded 99 times

Interkarma

Re: Build #114/Win 7 64-bit - local town map location names don't save

Post by Interkarma »

Thank you. Definitely not a permissions problem then.

Nystul, do you think this could be an intermittent script execution order problem?