OSX All Builds: Water Textures everywhere [GPU doesn't meet minimum spec]

Ninne361

OSX All Builds: Water Textures everywhere [GPU doesn't meet minimum spec]

Post by Ninne361 »

Tested on MacbookPro Retina (I tried changing to regular resolution though which obviously didn't change much) GPU is Intel HD Graphics 4000.

Looks pretty much like this and couldn't be fixed by changing the sttings:

This appears everywhere on the worldmap not only in towns.
Maybe the waterlevel is too high?! I don't know.

This guy has the exact same problem by the way and I am not sure he is even on OSX https://www.reddit.com/r/daggerfallunit ... e_now_but/

Thanks for your work this project is amazing.
Last edited by Ninne361 on Thu May 31, 2018 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jay_H

Re: OSX All Builds: Water Textures everywhere

Post by Jay_H »

I can't help with the bug report, but welcome to the forums! We've needed Mac testers for a long time, so these contributions will be very helpful.

Ninne361

Post by Ninne361 »

Glad you guys even care about the mac users. The performance is pretty damn good on my macbook.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Welcome to the forums! :)

My feeling is the HD Graphics 4000 isn't able to run the new tilemap shader, which uses texture arrays. You might have success by setting "EnableTextureArrays = False" in settings.ini under the "[Video]" section.

The settings persistent data path is shown at the bottom of the startup screen when you run the game.

I hope that helps!

Ninne361

Post by Ninne361 »

I tried all kinds of changes in the settings.
These are my results changing EnableTextureArrays (false makes it a lot worse and adds some kind of ponds?!).

This is present in any biome.
Attachments
EnableTextureArrays = False
EnableTextureArrays = False
false.jpg (47.1 KiB) Viewed 3681 times
EnableTextureArrays = True
EnableTextureArrays = True
true.jpg (47.97 KiB) Viewed 3681 times

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

No problems, I'm sorry that was unable to help.

Unfortunately this one isn't a technically a bug - your HD Graphics 4000 doesn't meet minimum specs (which is a GTX 660 or equivalent). From the looks of it, the HD 4000 unfortunately doesn't support either of the shaders used to render the terrain tilemap.
This guy has the exact same problem by the way and I am not sure he is even on OSX https://www.reddit.com/r/daggerfallunit ... e_now_but/
Yep that's the same problem. The person in that thread has an even more downlevel GPU than yours with a HD Graphics 2500. Both this and the 4000 are based on the "Ivy Bridge" architecture from around 2012.

Ninne361

Post by Ninne361 »

Interkarma wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:10 am Unfortunately this one isn't a technically a bug - your HD Graphics 4000 doesn't meet minimum specs (which is a GTX 660 or equivalent). From the looks of it, the HD 4000 unfortunately doesn't support either of the shaders used to render the terrain tilemap.
I see. Other than that the performance is pretty good, the GPU should be able to handle that actually.
Any chance to get like a light build with simple shaders that are supported?

I guess most people who are using the OSX build are most likely sitting on a macbook (with onboard graphics) anyways.
So maybe it would even make sense to change the shader for this OS in general. If thats possible.

Interkarma

Re: OSX All Builds: Water Textures everywhere [GPU doesn't meet minimum spec]

Post by Interkarma »

I'd would also like to find a solution for this. It seems counterintuitive but rendering a tilemap matching Daggerfall's software terrain in realtime takes some real shader magic. I wrote an article about it back in 2014 when I built the original shader. It was later improved by Nystul when texture arrays became supported in Unity.

I have so many plates spinning lately that it will be hard to get back to this for some time. And unfortunately I don't have a Mac or a motherboard old enough to test this properly. If someone else reading has the shader skills and the right equipment to test, I'd be happy to accept a pull request with a more lightweight version of either shader.

Ziune Wolf

Post by Ziune Wolf »

This doesn't really help much, but I have an even older cpu-gpu combo (Intel HD graphics 2000) running on a Windows machine and have experienced this as well, so this isn't just an isolated problem for Macs. Not that I would really play the game on this computer, but felt it was worth mentioning. Hoping someone comes along to give nice lightweight shaders for the older PC's out there. :)

Ninne361

Post by Ninne361 »

If someone is willing to work on a solution I am available for testing of course. PM me.