Windows #118 (and possibly Classic): Dungeon Vermdon - can get stuck in object [GAME-DATA RELATED]

Narf the Mouse

Windows #118 (and possibly Classic): Dungeon Vermdon - can get stuck in object [GAME-DATA RELATED]

Post by Narf the Mouse »

Reproduce: Go to the dungeon Vermdon in Daggerfall. Proceed forward into the cave. There are two monsters in the cave, and both they and you are likely to get stuck on what looks like a visual "ground glitch".

Saves are being sent by e-mail, including outside the dungeon, inside the dungeon, and inside the glitch. The bear and orc carcasses are from the two monsters.
Previous experience tells me it's very easy to misunderstand the tone, intent, or meaning of what I've posted. If you have questions, ask.

Narf the Mouse

Re: Windows #118 (and possibly Classic): Dungeon Vermdon - can get stuck in object

Post by Narf the Mouse »

Update: The glitch can be avoided by jumping.
Previous experience tells me it's very easy to misunderstand the tone, intent, or meaning of what I've posted. If you have questions, ask.

Interkarma

Re: Windows #118 (and possibly Classic): Dungeon Vermdon - can get stuck in object

Post by Interkarma »

I know the block you mean. There's a single-sided polygon sticking up through the cave floor (you can only see it from one direction). This unfortunately interacts with the player model in such a way they can become stuck. The bad geometry data is from classic, but the interaction is specific to Unity. I have this on my internal roadmap to fix. I've tuned the controller to bump through the smaller ones, but the instance in that cave block is too serious for this.

We added the "teleport" console action as a workaround for this a while back. I'll work on resolving this later when I'm ready.

The quality of Daggerfall's models are quite rough with lots of gaps, poorly spaced doorways, bad UVs, sticky polygons, and probably a host of other issues. Working around these was a bit of a nightmare for me early on, and there's still more to do before we reach 1.0.