Windows #30: Monster Colliders too big. [RESOLVED]

kingOfWyrms

Windows #30: Monster Colliders too big. [RESOLVED]

Post by kingOfWyrms »

This is a minor problem I've found. Normally I'd ignore combat-related bugs as being part of an as-of-yet unfinished system, but this one is a problem with something that at least feels more final than, say, the hit detection or swing speed, so forgive me for bringing this up. On to the problem...

The colliders seem to be a bit too big as compared to vanilla Daggerfall. The thief by the pile of heads in Privateer's Hold is incapable of walking up the stairs there due to the shape and size of its collider.
Screenshot (4).jpg
Screenshot (4).jpg (147.85 KiB) Viewed 4761 times
I've also noticed two monsters who are incapable of passing through doorways; the Centaur, and the staff-wielding spellcaster-type bandit. I haven't been able to test whether this problem exists in vanilla Daggerfall for these two though.
Screenshot (5).jpg
Screenshot (5).jpg (106.12 KiB) Viewed 4761 times
Screenshot (6).jpg
Screenshot (6).jpg (114.21 KiB) Viewed 4761 times

Xaphir

Re: Windows #30: Monster Colliders too big.

Post by Xaphir »

I ran into this problem with a giant behind a door, didn't think too much of it; because at the time I was level 1 and almost dead. And, he was a giant after all. Until I *also* had the same thing happen with a lizardman. I thought, hmm. Ok.

Now, reading this and seeing your experience, I realize there was something wrong.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

It's conditional. Sometimes the colliders are too small (e.g. it's possible to surf rats).

First up, Daggerfall didn't use colliders in the modern sense. Its physical simulation was very basic, about on the level of raycasts. This is why you could so easily fall into the void between gaps either side of stairs for example.

Second, Daggerfall's mesh geometry is inconsistently built, bordering on very poor in many places. That shot with the thief at the bottom of the stairs is one of the problem spots, but there are much worse. There are spots where geometry from below juts into the level above to form a one-sided plane that can trap player completely. It works in Daggerfall because of the simple physics, but doesn't translate well into a modern engine. Just one of the many geometry challenges I need to work with.

I use some rather tuned capsules for player and monsters that work most of the time, but there still some sticking points. I'll keep on refining this over time, but a different approach may be needed one day for best results. I'm basically just seeing where things go with gameplay, and will do another pass over this down the track.

So yes, definitely a bug, but not solely because of the collider size. The best answer is probably "it's complicated". :)

Xaphir

Post by Xaphir »

Interkarma wrote:It's conditional. Sometimes the colliders are too small (e.g. it's possible to surf rats).

.........So yes, definitely a bug, but not solely because of the collider size. The best answer is probably "it's complicated". :)
And when Interkarma says "it's probably complicated", you can best believe that's probably an understatement. :)

Xaphir

Linux 27: Monster Colliders

Post by Xaphir »

I've been testing build 27 for Linux in dungeons. I'd like to report that I am not seeing monsters having any trouble whatsoever navigating the dungeons, so far. One nymph followed me all the way back to the exit of one dungeon, through doors and several flights of stairs. Still testing

Interkarma

Re: Linux 27: Monster Colliders

Post by Interkarma »

Thanks for the feedback. It's going to depend on the dungeon geometry more than the enemy colliders themselves. Some of that geometry is really bad. Larger enemies will struggle more than smaller ones.

It's easy to trick out the enemies when you know the right spots, but it's still a huge improvement over vanilla. I'm pretty happy with it for this stage of the project.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Interkarma wrote:It's easy to trick out the enemies when you know the right spots, but it's still a huge improvement over vanilla. I'm pretty happy with it for this stage of the project.
Oh, yeah. I can't wait 'til I meet my first Vampire Ancient at level 3, and as I try to run and run through endless halls to get away, I'll hear its obscene growling just inches behind me the whole way... :D

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Jay_H wrote: Oh, yeah. I can't wait 'til I meet my first Vampire Ancient at level 3, and as I try to run and run through endless halls to get away, I'll hear its obscene growling just inches behind me the whole way... :D
:lol:

Auditor

Post by Auditor »

Interkarma wrote:It's conditional. Sometimes the colliders are too small (e.g. it's possible to surf rats).

First up, Daggerfall didn't use colliders in the modern sense. Its physical simulation was very basic, about on the level of raycasts. This is why you could so easily fall into the void between gaps either side of stairs for example.

Second, Daggerfall's mesh geometry is inconsistently built, bordering on very poor in many places. That shot with the thief at the bottom of the stairs is one of the problem spots, but there are much worse. There are spots where geometry from below juts into the level above to form a one-sided plane that can trap player completely. It works in Daggerfall because of the simple physics, but doesn't translate well into a modern engine. Just one of the many geometry challenges I need to work with.

I use some rather tuned capsules for player and monsters that work most of the time, but there still some sticking points. I'll keep on refining this over time, but a different approach may be needed one day for best results. I'm basically just seeing where things go with gameplay, and will do another pass over this down the track.

So yes, definitely a bug, but not solely because of the collider size. The best answer is probably "it's complicated". :)
I ran into one of these spots, but judging by this thread, it´s not a new issue.
I don't know if its helpful, but I located the place in Daggerfall Modelling where I got trapped.
The Den of Mordistyr, Modelindex=6436, ModelID=60106
Block N0000030
This model is to high and sticks upp in the cave corridor above, just waiting for the unwary adventurer to step into it.
Win #92

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Yep, it's a known issue and needs a specific set of changes to fix. Work will continue on this as player and enemy motors are slowly refactored to address some of these problems.

If anyone is stuck like this, aim crosshair at ground ahead and use "teleport" console command to zip past the poorly formed geometry. If you fall through the ground teleporting, use "groundme" and try again.