Mouse rotation isn't picked up [CLOSED]

Narf the Mouse

Mouse rotation isn't picked up [CLOSED]

Post by Narf the Mouse »

So I hadn't played DU for a while; waiting for quests. Anyway, the mouse rotation doesn't work.

Platform:

Windows 10 on VMWare Workstation Pro 12.5.4.
CPU: 6700K
GPU: VMWare SVGA 3D

What happens:

Create a new character, load the new character, or load an old character, doesn't matter. Moving the mouse (or trackball; I have both and tried both) does not rotate the character. Right-clicking with a weapon out and moving the mouse/trackball does not swing. Moving the mouse does move the cursor, in that if the mouse is moved to the top of the screen, the VMWare top bar appears. In addition, the mouse cursor also works in menus.

What I tried:

Deleting the configuration files (KeyBinds.txt and settings.ini); exiting and reloading; deleting the DU folder and replacing it with Live Build 58 and deleting the configuration files; disabling all mods; changing from the Daggerfall installed by DaggerfallSetup to the DaggerfallGameFiles folder from the DU website by deleting the configuration files; running in exclusive mode (makes VMWare full-screen. Or full-window; not sure)
Previous experience tells me it's very easy to misunderstand the tone, intent, or meaning of what I've posted. If you have questions, ask.

Narf the Mouse

Re: Mouse rotation isn't picked up

Post by Narf the Mouse »

Update: Mouse rotation works on Linux.
Previous experience tells me it's very easy to misunderstand the tone, intent, or meaning of what I've posted. If you have questions, ask.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

This is a VMWare issue with gaming mouse input I have also encountered. You can sometimes improve this in VMWare Workstation using Edit > Preferences > Input > set "Optimize mouse for games" to disabled. A lot of other games (built on Unity or otherwise) can experience this.

In any case, I can confirm not a DU Windows build issue. I build and play exclusively in Windows here. :)

Narf the Mouse

Post by Narf the Mouse »

Interkarma wrote:This is a VMWare issue with gaming mouse input I have also encountered. You can sometimes improve this in VMWare Workstation using Edit > Preferences > Input > set "Optimize mouse for games" to disabled. A lot of other games (built on Unity or otherwise) can experience this.

In any case, I can confirm not a DU Windows build issue. I build and play exclusively in Windows here. :)
Thanks; I should have thought to look at that.

Some games, it works better if you set it to enabled, too.

Hmm...Tested; it works, but rotation accelerates very fast if it's on, and the mouse cursor is very slow; and doesn't work if it's off, but the mouse cursor moves normally

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

I've struggled with this one a bit as well. I'd love to be able to virtualise all my test platforms and spin them up as needed, but it was just too unreliable. I've encountered the same mouse problem in Linux under VMWare too (but never native on either platform).

I just kind of accept it now and run with dual boot and live CDs to do the heavy lifting on tests. It's kind of amazing how well VMWare Workstation virtualises the GPU yet trips on mouse input. :cry:

Narf the Mouse

Post by Narf the Mouse »

Interkarma wrote:I've struggled with this one a bit as well. I'd love to be able to virtualise all my test platforms and spin them up as needed, but it was just too unreliable. I've encountered the same mouse problem in Linux under VMWare too (but never native on either platform).

I just kind of accept it now and run with dual boot and live CDs to do the heavy lifting on tests. It's kind of amazing how well VMWare Workstation virtualises the GPU yet trips on mouse input. :cry:
It also works if I pass a USB mouse through directly; which is a good time to have a second USB mouse connected.

For virtual mice, it probably doesn't have the raw mouse input, and has to try to derive it from what the host OS outputs, which is pre-adjusted.

That it does such a terrible job of it...That's another question.