French/German patch breaks compatibility [GAME DATA RELATED]

Interkarma

Re: Bug on install

Post by Interkarma »

Hi Zokroz, welcome to the forums. :)

Your main files are definitely accounted for, but a couple of other things can still go wrong from there. Possibly some files not checked by the setup process are missing, or one or more files are not in the format expected (e.g. could be modified or unpatched).

Some things to try:

First head to the Live Builds page and grab the "DaggerfallGameFiles.zip" download. Extract the zip file and point Daggerfall Unity to the extracted game files directory instead. These are a known good set of files with Daggerfall Unity and will help rule out some other problem like system incompatibility.

Note: With your bug, you may need to remove Daggerfall Unity's settings.ini from your application path (see manual) to restart the setup process (or temporarily rename your current arena2 folder to arena2.old).

If that works, set back the path to reproduce error then check the output log (see manual). This should have a stream of errors saying what's going wrong. You can email me the output log if you like.

And if you can, zip up your whole Daggerfall folder and upload to cloud storage, then send me a link. I can download your copy of the game files and diagnose here where things are going wrong.

Cheers. :)

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Zokroz wrote: I reply here because it's possible other French/German player have the same problem. :D
Good to know, cheers. I don't really test with the heavily modified game files, and it's known some mods can break compatibility. It's possible these problems can be fixed down the road, but it's not a priority for me at this time, I'm sorry.

That said, I know things were working with the French and German mods some time ago. It's very likely this compatibility can be restored in the future.

Zokroz wrote: Find other bug (?), i can't talk with people (Exterior of City, Tavern), so can't have bed, food ect.. Why?
Not a bug - not implemented. The "Talk" system is is scheduled for 0.5 along with spells. Shops and basic banking will be in 0.6. You aren't likely to see things like guilds and services until 0.7-ish.

I recommend checking the roadmap to see what has been implemented and what is coming up. If it's not mentioned on the roadmap, don't expect it to be implemented for a while.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

No estimate on 100% yet. But I'm reasonably confident that majority of quests and spell system will be working before end of this year. That's a huge chunk of gameplay and represents almost all the hard problems solved.

From there, the remaining features don't come anywhere near the complexity level of what has already been completed. It's all downhill from 2018. :)

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Zokroz wrote:"No estimate on 100% yet. But I'm reasonably confident that majority of quests and spell system will be working before end of this year. That's a huge chunk of gameplay and represents almost all the hard problems solved."

Oh great, like Daggerfall Vanilla? With Brotherhood, Thief Guild, Knight Order?
I'll find ways to make all quests available to testers (likely similar to the Fighters temp guild system right now). But proper guilds and services aren't scheduled until 0.7. Development is currently wrapping up 0.4 and about to enter 0.5, so full guild support won't be for a while yet.

Zokroz wrote: From there, the remaining features don't come anywhere near the complexity level of what has already been completed. It's all downhill from 2018.

Not very long, i can wait 1 years. So, i'm not programmer, but tell me if you need player for test or translate your message in French. Just if you have a new French Player on this forum and if they have difficulty for speak your language. Im n'ot good, but i can translate ;)
Just to clarify, I'm not saying full release is 1 year away - just that most of the hard stuff has been solved and it's all downhill from 2018. It's very likely to be another few years before I'm happy to call 1.0. But the game will be almost completely playable before then. Even by the end of 2017 a huge amount of core gameplay will be working.

I've just updated the Roadmap page with a stronger outline for coming releases all the way up to 1.0. I'll continue to refine the roadmap as time passes.

Thank you for your offer of help with communicating to other French players. :)

Interkarma

Re: French/German patch breaks compatibility

Post by Interkarma »

Zokroz wrote: Excuse me if i d'ont understand exaclty, but you can't make quests like Daggerfall Vanilla? I want say, we will not have the same quests, the rank, and popularity? Or for this moment, you have juste make little system for test, and you add later the same quests of Daggerfall Vanilla? Excuse me for my questions, but i'm curious and really understand English from is English people is difficult :D
Please check the Roadmap. Guilds and services are not scheduled until 0.7. We are currently in version 0.4. :)

In the meantime, quests from different groups will be available for testers by expanding on temp guild system as I'm currently using in the Fighters update.

Deepfighter

Post by Deepfighter »

Just to clarify things as the project leader of the German translation. The German Translation patch works "still" like intended with this new version; I test it from time to time, as I want to have compatibility with DF Vanilla and DFUnity in the end. The same should go with the French version, as we use the same editors, so no worries @Zokroz :)

There are small things, like not getting the ingame breaks <0xFD> or the random tag <0xFF> in the TEXT.RSC. But it's not notable and haven't been addressed from my side, as it's most likely not implemented yet. And even if it is a "bug" it's nothing you (Interkarma) need to spend your precious time on yet anyway.

My suggestion for all people who are into translating Daggerfall and want to make it compatible with DFUnity. Wait until all the basic stuff is included, and wait further for a sign of Interkarma - probably when the beta-testing is coming (?) - to see how it will work with our fan translations. At least I will do it like this, as it makes no sense to fix now stuff regarding translations, which may (or have to) be altered in a later development process of DFUnity.

It's hard to wait, I know it myself, but it will be worth every moment in the end playing Daggerfall in our native language with the amazing DFUnity. :)
Head of the German Daggerfall translation - www.daggerfalldeutsch.de
and German translator for The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim and Lore-Expert for The Elder Scrolls: Online

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Thank you for your feedback and support Deepfighter. :)