Distant terrain 2.0.5 crashes game about 3 mins in... [CLOSED - MOD]

Midknightprince

Distant terrain 2.0.5 crashes game about 3 mins in... [CLOSED - MOD]

Post by Midknightprince »

Okay distant Terrain crashes my game about 3 minutes in I think it's my card.
I tried it with old guys, and new guys.
Same thing, I also get crackling sounds quite a bit.
Turning it off stops the crashing, and crackling.

My card is a GeForce GTX 1050 TI OC, up-to-date drivers etc etc...Windows 10 home x64.

I'm also using the ground textures from the texture pack 2.0, but have narrowed it down to distant Terrain, and same results with classic and enhanced skies (confirmed)..FOV at 65...

I can fiddle with the settings if you have any suggestions.

Just an fyi, havent been using it anyways, I was just testing stuff so maybe its just a work in progress thing, so no biggie..

Like I said, I think it's my super awesome card, and distant terrain is jealous 8-)

So if anyone is having a crash after 3 minutes with it activated just turn it off, and make sure FOV is at 65 or things get funky...
Check out my YouTube Channel!

Interkarma

Re: Distant terrain 2.0.5 crashes game about 3 mins in...

Post by Interkarma »

I'm not sure why distant terrain would create crackling sound and crashing. Is anyone else able to reproduce this and crashing issue Midknightprince is discussing with distant terrain?

I'll leave this here until a few other people have added their feedback to the conversation.

Midknightprince

I think it's on my end.
Theres some folks talking about it giving problems with certain cards, which could be the case (just updated drivers wednesday), and everything is coming out thru the card via HDMI.
Hopefully someone will jump on here and throw a shout out, but It's just this mod so I don't want to waste your time with it.
Glad you popped in tho, always good to hear from "the man in charge" :)

quasifex

Post by quasifex »

This crackling sound could be the intensive work of videocard's cooler. I have crackling too when i play the game with quality set to Fantastic and resolution at max. I suppose it has something to do with RAM, far view distance usually have a significant hit on it (not to mention that game is pretty unoptimized right now).
I would advise Midnightprince to check if the game crashes with Distant Terrain enabled at lower settings.

Midknightprince

quasifex wrote:This crackling sound could be the intensive work of videocard's cooler. I have crackling too when i play the game with quality set to Fantastic and resolution at max. I suppose it has something to do with RAM, far view distance usually have a significant hit on it (not to mention that game is pretty unoptimized right now).
I would advise Midnightprince to check if the game crashes with Distant Terrain enabled at lower settings.
I'm testing with EVERYTHING off now.
My view distance is always at 3, FOV 65, quality level fantastic and Shadow resolution at High, main filter bilinear, only thing still in are textures from texture pack 2.0, no foliage, just temperate terrain textures, and the building textures.
But I'm outside privateers hold, so only thing loading are the Terrain textures right ?
The crackling is in the headphones that what you're talking about ?
Yep same thing with everything off crash to desktop in 3 minutes or less.
Let me take the whole texture folder out and see what happens.

quasifex

Post by quasifex »

I'm testing with EVERYTHING off now.
My view distance is always at 3, FOV 65, quality level fantastic and Shadow resolution at High, main filter bilinear,
Did you tried set view distance at 1, quality = good and shadows at low? BTW How much RAM do you have?
But I'm outside privateers hold, so only thing loading are the Terrain textures right ?
There's also trees loading.
The crackling is in the headphones that what you're talking about ?
No, i meant crackling from inside your computer. Or you have crackling sound in headphones?
I'm also thinking maybe you have some process besides Daggerfall that steal memory. Check task manager for apps that uses most memory.
Last edited by quasifex on Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

if you are at privateer's hold, gothway garden is always loaded as well since it is only 1 map pixel away.

btw, 2.0.5 is not the latest version which is 2.1.0

edit: 2.2.0 is latest now

Midknightprince

Terrain transitions, and it's crackling in The Sounds in the game not my pc.
All mods back on, texture pack back in.
Fast traveled to Daggerfall City, sitting on the wall in wrothgararia now... still going, no crash.
Only thing I changed was turning terrain transitions off.
It's still crashed with everything off and textures out with it on.
I believe this was a successful test 8-)

Midknightprince

Yep, tested, confirmed, separate saves, fast traveled, burned in for 5 mins or more, and it works with EVERYTHING on, and texture pack back in..
It's Terrain Transitions on my end, and the crackling is my headphone jack i think, doesn't seem to happen with audio output set to monitor..