Quest NPCs generate with Nord names [WORKING AS INTENDED]

Jay_H

Quest NPCs generate with Nord names [WORKING AS INTENDED]

Post by Jay_H »

In High Rock, quest NPCs sometimes have Nord first names, and sometimes Breton first names.

Mojald:

Mettne:

Ulrens:

Mette:

Last edited by Jay_H on Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Interkarma

Re: Quest NPCs generate with Nord names

Post by Interkarma »

The name bank is selected based on climate index and can differ from sprite appearance. All of the various NPC systems (mobile/static/quest) should pull from the same regional information at time of instantiation.

One case where this can differ is when quest is generated in say Wayrest and sends player into another region like Wrothgaria. The quest NPC is named based on the region their resource was instantiated in, rather than the one they were deployed to. If you have a long-running quest active that persists across regions, it could just be a mismatch between instantiation and deployment.

Also, climate zones don't follow political zones. It's possible for one political area (e.g. Daggerfall) to have multiple climate zones. So it's possible for a quest to be given in one climate zone that sends player to another climate zone within the same political region. This could cause some apparent mismatch as well, but still fits within the generation rules.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

This has occurred in Ilessan Hills continuously. I'll try it in other western regions to see if there's a similar outcome.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Check my edit above (last paragraph). Ilessan Hills has multiple climate zones within the same political region.

Note how the climate map differs from the political map, and Ilessan Hills has multiple climates within the same political zone.

In these case, it's to be expected that different cultures will be living close to each other. Melting pot. :)

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Very well. If it all looks okay to you, I'll mark this as working as intended.

MrDowntempo

Post by MrDowntempo »

It does make sense that some races will cross borders and live in different kingdoms. But just to be clear, the game isn't assigning the wrong names to NPCs of a different race is it? In other words, if you see a Nord name generated in a Breton region, that NPC will be a Nord living in a Breton region, not a Breton right?

Also this interests me because I'm working on Name generation on my own and have been considering seeing if I could implement my generator as a mod in the future. Will have to learn C# first though since I've done it in Python as I experiment

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

MrDowntempo wrote:In other words, if you see a Nord name generated in a Breton region, that NPC will be a Nord living in a Breton region, not a Breton right?
The region is just the political alignment, racial stuff like names and appearance are determined by the climate map (see the two maps I linked above).

And NPC names don't always match appearance. It's possible to have Bretons with Redguard names living in the desert. Just talk to any NPC in Sentinel city to see what I mean. It's like this in classic too.

The key thing here is that quest names are based on whatever climate zone the quest started in, not the region. And it's possible for quests to send you across climate zones within the same region.