Dragonbreak #92 Win, Exit location from dungeon changed [CLOSED]

Auditor

Dragonbreak #92 Win, Exit location from dungeon changed [CLOSED]

Post by Auditor »

No mods installed.

Entered the Wicksley graveyard (Daggerfall region) to do some looting.
Upon exiting, I and the whole graveyard ended up high in the sky.
Could not re-enter the dungeon, and when I stepped of the steps to the crypt I fell to certain death.

I had saved the game upon exit, but when loaded, graveyard is gone, but height position is still to high.
If travel menu is activated, my position is no longer at the graveyard, but instead 2 steps left of the graveyard according to zoomed in travel map.
location.jpg
location.jpg (211.61 KiB) Viewed 3381 times
I think that the game placed me and the whole graveyard incorrect when I exited the dungeon.
Maybe height is the same, but the ground is lower in this new position?
But upon loading, it placed the graveyard back in the correct position, but read position for player where I saved.

But the way, I'm playing around with Daggerfall Modelling, and in this dungeon (as well as most other small dungeons I suppose) there is a lot of inaccessible rooms. In this dungeon, there is a room just the other side of the exit, with a random monster inside, which makes a lot of noise. Whats this about? (the reason I wanted to open this one up was because I could hear monsters, but not find them.
Edit: Probably these small dungeons all have sideblock, but they are not connected to the starting block?
Makes sense...
But it must have been handled differently in old Daggerfall.
Tested going there in the old version, and could not trigger the monster behind the exit to react.
In DU, its possible to smash open the door behind the exit and let the monster out.
Or in some cases, a skeleton can open door and charge you through the exit. (kinda scared me)

Also, what does all the markers mean? "Random Treasure" and "Random mon" is easy, but what does Enter and Flat mean?
Attachments
SAVE0.zip
(102.78 KiB) Downloaded 119 times

Interkarma

Re: Dragonbreak #92 Win, Exit location from dungeon changed

Post by Interkarma »

Cheers, will look at this when I can. Generally the only thing which influences terrain height is mods (e.g. far terrain has a different scale) or modifying the terrain scale directly. Not sure what happened in this case.

Small graveyards are built mostly from border blocks, which are open on all sides and intended to close off interior blocks. This means three of four sides of each block are open to the void and not accessible to player. When monsters are spawned in these blocks, the player is not always able to reach them. This is a side-effect of Daggerfall's dungeon design and operates the same in classic.

UESP has a fairly good explanation of interior vs. border blocks. You can identify these blocks in Daggerfall Modelling as they start with a B. Note how they will connect to interior blocks on any side to seal the dungeon.

Midknightprince

Post by Midknightprince »

This happend to me once..
I was exploring for dungeons etc, overland.
Sometimes it seems the game looses track of where you are, so you'll come across a town or similar, but on the map you're in the next square.

I was not fast traveling, so if you were maybe its something else.
If you weren't, just fast travel more often, and if you show up at a locale, and no message pops up, LEAVE THE SQUARE POST HASTE.

Again, this only happend when I was walking to places...hope this helps :D
Check out my YouTube Channel!

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Interesting, thanks for the additional detail. :)

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Were you guys using "set_runspeed" from console before this happened? This has been known to cause world desynchronisation issues like this one.

Auditor

Post by Auditor »

Not in my case!

I used fast travel to the graveyard, entered it, and exited it in weird spot.
Did not use any console commands.
Have tried to reproduce it but no luck.

While snooping around the maps, I have seen that normal dungeons have a starter marker on ground level, but the graveyards don't have that. A bit weird me think... Could that be the issue here? the game searching for a starter marker, and when not finding one, use the last known position, and that in turn could have been overwritten by something else?

No doubt the old version used the same dungeons, but something is different.
In DU, you can smash open the door hidden behind the exit, and let out monsters.
In classic version, the monster behind the exit seems to be passive, and you can't smash open the door...

But that's another story/bug....

Midknightprince

Post by Midknightprince »

@Interkarma
Thats what I figured so I never report it as a bug, plus all the mods I'm using, and the texture packs.
Just save often, that's what I do.
Quiting the game, and restarting has always fixed it for me...
Check out my YouTube Channel!

pango

Re: Dragonbreak #92 Win, Exit location from dungeon changed [CLOSED]

Post by pango »

Exiting the Old Elyzabyth's Farm (Wrothgarian mountains) I materialized "inside" the fence that's at the rear of the farm, so relocation issues are not specific to dungeons. I could not reproduce the issue again.
And trying to get inside the poorly 3d modeled fence on my own would just kill me, as impalement should.

(the issue didn't end here, but that's a different story, and it would be a non-issue if I didn't materialize inside the fence in the first place: trying to escape my fate I moved in all directions until got freed and started to float. I could walk in all horizontal directions but was slowly but steadily going up. I had to levitate back inside the farm to fix it).
Attachments
SAVE29.zip
(406.12 KiB) Downloaded 92 times
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart