Maybe you should just leave that item you are guarding alone

For all talk about quest development - creation, testing, and quest system.
jayhova

Maybe you should just leave that item you are guarding alone

Post by jayhova »

One of the things I found problematic in guard quests is the one-click disaster problem. In these quests, there is an item and you must guard the item. If you click the item >BOOM<! You are kicked out of the guild and you fail the quest. You can't, for instance, pick up the shirt of ultimate dance fever and look at it and put it back down. Nope. Click, fail.

Is there anything that can be done to mitigate this behavior? Like a dialog that says "Are you sure you wish to take the item you are supposed to be guarding?"
Remember always 'What would Julian Do?'.

Hazelnut

Re: Maybe you should just leave that item you are guarding alone

Post by Hazelnut »

That's not how they are supposed to work, the quest isn't working right - just no one has fixed it yet. You're supposed to be able to pick it up as long as it's during the guarding hours.. if you still have it outside that time, then yes you fail the quest and lose rep with guild.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

Daggerfall is just filled with 1-click disasters. Everyone has tried to talk to a commoner and gotten “You were unsuccessful.”

HALTHALTHALT

jayhova

Post by jayhova »

Hazelnut wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:12 pm That's not how they are supposed to work, the quest isn't working right - just no one has fixed it yet. You're supposed to be able to pick it up as long as it's during the guarding hours.. if you still have it outside that time, then yes you fail the quest and lose rep with guild.
I was unsure if this was a classic behavior or not.
Remember always 'What would Julian Do?'.

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

jayhova wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:54 pm
Hazelnut wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:12 pm That's not how they are supposed to work, the quest isn't working right - just no one has fixed it yet. You're supposed to be able to pick it up as long as it's during the guarding hours.. if you still have it outside that time, then yes you fail the quest and lose rep with guild.
I was unsure if this was a classic behavior or not.
I’m pretty sure that’s how it works in classic. I seem to remember running into this problem back in the 90s.

Firebrand

Post by Firebrand »

Ralzar wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:14 pm Daggerfall is just filled with 1-click disasters. Everyone has tried to talk to a commoner and gotten “You were unsuccessful.”

HALTHALTHALT
:lol: :lol: :lol: