Cannot progress main quest

For all talk about quest development - creation, testing, and quest system.
Dovakhiin

Re: Cannot progress main quest

Post by Dovakhiin »

TheLacus wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 3:56 pm
Dovakhiin wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 3:10 pm
Interkarma wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:51 pm As mentioned above, if you post a save then someone will be able to help further. :)
ok, how do I post a save? Sorry if i sound lame, still a noob! ;)
See Locating Saves & Logs.
I know where the save files are, I just dont know which files to upload and where to upload?

pango

Post by pango »

Dovakhiin wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 3:50 pm I know where the save files are, I just dont know which files to upload and where to upload?
Zip the whole "Save###" directory, use the "Attachment" tab at the bottom of post form to upload the archive
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

Dovakhiin

Post by Dovakhiin »

OK, here is my save.

Cheers.
Attachments
SAVE0.rar
Daggerfall Save
(293.67 KiB) Downloaded 114 times

Corsair

Post by Corsair »

Dovakhiin wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 3:49 pm I didnt look at the painting and got the "excellent" speech. However since then nothing.

I have found I can manually start the quest using the console, however this then presents another problem.

It gives you a location which is not on the map and therefore impossible to find!! ARGH! :x
Strange... I tried looking at it and not looking at it, turning it in and nothing.... :?

Dovakhiin

Post by Dovakhiin »

Corsair wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 5:33 pm
Dovakhiin wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 3:49 pm I didnt look at the painting and got the "excellent" speech. However since then nothing.

I have found I can manually start the quest using the console, however this then presents another problem.

It gives you a location which is not on the map and therefore impossible to find!! ARGH! :x
Strange... I tried looking at it and not looking at it, turning it in and nothing.... :?
I havent done the looking at it thing, but since then I've still not had anything further either. Im hoping someone can look at the save and shed light on it.

Dovakhiin

Post by Dovakhiin »

Ive added some screenshots of the debug screens on my quests. On Pic 2 under "Main Quest Backbone" Ive noticed the timer at the bottom is showing zero, while the timer on the 3 pic for "Lysandus Revelation" is showing in red as 8.00 then 0.00. No idea what any of these numbers mena but may be this is why the "Strongholds Blades Quest" wont activate? Maybe this is a bug as I havent messed with any of the quest lines in the game.
Attachments
Daggerfall Debug Screens.zip
(842.96 KiB) Downloaded 117 times

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Based on your save, the quest Sx010 "Stronghold of the Blades" is not active.

Handing in painting to Akorithi will start quest Sx010 whether you look at the painting or not. From that moment, there are three possible ways to end the quest:
  1. Running out the 30-day timer that begins after the letter is generated (which happens 7 days after handing in painting).
  2. Refusing the quest when first speaking to agent of the Underking
  3. Returning item to agent of the Underking (success and reveal tomb)
The most likely cause of quest not running here is #1. If you fast travelled or spent significant time away from cities, you would never have received the letter and the offer window will have closed. I agree this is quite unfair, but it's how the quest is scripted. Perhaps this timer should be removed, I'm not sure what purpose it serves other than frustrating gameplay.

If you'd like another shot at this, here's a process:
  • Open console and enter startquest s0000010
  • You'll need to run out about 1 week of time, at which point letter can be delivered. Keep an eye on timer S.04 in quest Sx010. When this expires, letter is ready and your 30-day timer is ticking.
  • Stay in towns for a day or two until letter arrives revealing location of Underking's agent.
  • Visit agent of Underking and progress quest from there.
I just tested the above in your save and was able to progress Sx010 normally.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Interkarma wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 12:28 am The most likely cause of quest not running here is #1. If you fast travelled or spent significant time away from cities, you would never have received the letter and the offer window will have closed. I agree this is quite unfair, but it's how the quest is scripted. Perhaps this timer should be removed, I'm not sure what purpose it serves other than frustrating gameplay.
Noted. The starting transition to Stronghold of the Blades is a common complaint, so even if this is functioning properly, I think it's agreeable to improve it.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Agreed, Jay. I'd be inclined to remove first extinction timer (_S.10_) completely. 30 days is a brutal limit when player may not even know quest has started yet. It's much too easy to miss this either by taking an extended trip or spending time in some dungeons.

There's a second extinction timer (_itemindung_) that starts only after accepting quest from agent of Underking. This is more than adequate a time limit. The first timer just is unnecessarily cruel.

Edit: Have removed hidden 30-day extinction timer (_S.10_) that can end quest before player even knows it has started. There is still a time limit imposed once player has contacted agent of Underking, but at least by this stage player knows quest has started and if they fail from here, it's because they ignored the quest log rather than just an accident.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Ah, very well. I intended to have the timer activate once the letter arrived, but I'm happy to go with your solution :)