Daggerfall Unity 0.4.x - "Fighters" Update

For all talk about quest development - creation, testing, and quest system.
Interkarma

Re: Daggerfall Unity 0.4.x - "Fighters" Update

Post by Interkarma »

Live Builds 75/75/72 are up now. Highlight of this version is quest save/load. This launches the second phase of Fighters Update testing.
  • Quests state now saved and restored with save games.
  • Loading a save without quests (such as an older save) will now clear quest machine state.
  • Added "purgeallquests" console command to completely wipe clean quest machine state.
  • Added "endquest <questid>" console command to immediately tombstone a specific quest by UID.
  • Added "enddebugquest" console command to immediately tombstone quest currently shown by quest debugger.
  • Enemies assigned to SiteLink via "place foe" will no longer spawn one kill count equals spawn count. This is unrelated to "create foe" enemy placement where enemies are spawned entirely by script logic and will stop only when script allows.
  • Improved enemy placement for building interiors without assigned spawn points. Fallback now uses free placement rather than limited pool of other markers. This should help reduce stacks of enemies. High spawn volumes are still likely to create stacks.
I also spotted a bug I didn't catch prior to issuing builds. When loading a game with tombstoned and active quests, the Quest Debugger might not refresh properly. Just use [ and ] keys to cycle quest debugger and it should refresh to current state. I'll fix this up in next build.

If you experience any problems with quest behaviours moving forward, please don't hesitate to send me a zip of the relevant save game folder so I can investigate.

CM August

Post by CM August »

Woo hoo!

I tried CUSTOM01 with intermittent quicksaving and quickloading to try and break it. The only thing of note so far (besides the debugger refresh issue) is that the necromancer can change gender on reload. Quite funny when it happens. :)

Big congratulations on this release.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Ah, gender. Knew I'd forget something haha. :) This one is a side effect of a how I wrote the original enemy generators. Will fix this up soon.

Thanks for testing so soon. I'm looking forward to ironing some bugs out then diving straight into making the make story quest playable with a Fighter-based character.

CM August

Post by CM August »

That's what I've been waiting to hear. :D

The interaction mode (steal, grab, info, talk) is still save-agnostic too, though it's not a big deal.

Speaking of enemy generation: I'm finding that as I navigate dungeons saving and loading (without leaving the dungeon), in places where I've slain foes, new versions of that foe are appearing in the same spot. Is this a known quirk?

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

CM August wrote:That's what I've been waiting to hear. :D

The interaction mode (steal, grab, info, talk) is still save-agnostic too, though it's not a big deal.

Speaking of enemy generation: I'm finding that as I navigate dungeons saving and loading (without leaving the dungeon), in places where I've slain foes, new versions of that foe are appearing in the same spot. Is this a known quirk?
Cheers for reminder - I need to save that setting.

Yes, random dungeon enemies have a load bug that allows them to respawn. It only happens under certain conditions, and I've closed off a few cases. I'm working towards changing how serialization works in dungeons to fix this. Some of the things I did as part of the quest save/load is actually a test for this.

CM August

Post by CM August »

That's great to hear.

D'oh: I just went through an entire dungeon only to discover the quest monster never spawned. The last time this happened it was a wereboar; this time it was a Daedroth. The nice thing is I can actually provide a save file now if you need it.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

That would be awesome, cheers. :) And output log from that session as well, if you could.

CM August

Post by CM August »

I've sent it along. This save is just before I hit "tele2qspawn" which takes me to an already-visited room with an already-killed bat (and a freshly-spawned bat on top of that, per the other bug). You'll just have to type tele2qspawn to view the same.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Thanks again for sending through. I've been able to reproduce issue, and this one is definitely a problem with new save/load code. I'll fix this before next build.

CM August

Post by CM August »

Just saw the latest commits; that was fast. Great job. :)