Daggerfall Unity 0.4.x - "Vengeance" Update

For all talk about quest development - creation, testing, and quest system.
Interkarma

Re: Daggerfall Unity 0.4.x - "Vengeance" Update

Post by Interkarma »

I've issued Live Builds for Vengeance #84. This is purely a bug-fix build but there are a couple of other things you might find of interest.

First, I've changed the cloud build settings to always build with latest 5.5.x version. This means any Unity engine fixes part of 5.5 chain are now included in distribution.

Second, I've added a Windows 64-bit build target. Click the (get 64-bit) link on builds page to download this build. The build number unfortunately starts at #1 for this chain due to how cloud build tracks this, but it's made from the same code as the 32-bit version and can be considered the same. You probably won't see much speed difference with the 64-bit version, but it can access more memory and might be more efficient overall with several mods.

Here are the changes in Vengeance #84.
  • Fix to close menu window when Talk is selected.
  • Fix to identify cost formula.
  • Large quest message popups are now split into multiple popups.
  • Fix marker selection for some main story quests. This is to ensure item is placed in same position as classic so Daggerfall Unity can match classic walkthrough. This will continue as main quest progresses.
  • Fix "setmqstage 4" instantiation. This was not working correctly before.
  • Fix painting item index in quests-items table.
  • Fix Daedra Seducer attack frame.
  • Increase spawn frequency in Fighters Giant and Harpy quests.
  • Fix for 3D tree positioning in mod system.
  • Use world texture if no inventory texture available. This should fix most instances where inventory item has a blank image.
  • EndQuest() now allows quest to fire a couple more ticks before sealing quest. This allows actions started directly before "end quest" to trigger. An example of this is Akorithi's "prompt" action when handing in painting.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

The Live Builds page has been updated with Vengeance #85. Key feature of this version is that main quest stage 4 should be in a passing state. Following is the outline for this stage.

You should be able to follow walkthroughs in UESP article (linked from quest name below). Please let me know of any issues encountered. You may need to use cheats to progress - that's OK! What we're testing here is quest script execution flow. If you encounter a blocking issue, you can restart stage outside at any time.

setmqstage 4

State
  • Sets player level: 8
  • Sets globalvars: MetLadyBrisienna
  • Sets reputations: Akorithi +20
  • Gives prerequisite items: none
Quests Outline
  1. Use console command "setmqstage 4" while outside.
  2. Visit Lhotun in Castle Sentinel to start S0000001.
  3. Travel/wait several days to receive a letter to meet an agent of the Underking in a random tavern, who will send you to a random dungeon.
  4. Travel to this dungeon and locate the death certificate.
  5. Deliver death certificate to Lhotun to complete quest and start S0000017.
  6. Travel/wait several days to receive a letter to meet with Queen Akorithi in Castle Sentinel.
  7. Accept Akorithi's quest and proceed to Castle Wayrest to locate the painting. Use the painting or not.
  8. Return painting to Akorithi and decide to let her know if you used painting or not (has no bearing on quest outcome besides reputation gain). This will start S0000010.
  9. Travel/wait several days to receive a letter from another agent of the Underking who wishes to meet with in a random house. Pay attention to letter, as house is not listed in quest journal.
  10. Accept the agent's quest and proceed to Castle Llugwych in Ykalon to locate a random magic item.
  11. Once you have the item, return to agent in location from letter. Along the way, you might be harassed by wraiths due to curse on item (low percent chance).
  12. When item is returned to agent, the curse will be removed and you will be able to keep item.
Known Issues / Limitations
  • Lift levers can be a little hard to click due to activation ray. Aim slightly above lever.
  • Player can get stuck when exiting atrium into main hall (angle of ramp too steep next to low doorway frame height. Crouch to pass this space.
  • The magic items granted as a reward are not actually magical, they just have a dummy effect assigned. Magic items are scheduled for 0.5.
  • Reputation gain/loss through quests not yet implemented.

Feralwarlord

Post by Feralwarlord »

New builds have certainly been coming in fast lately.
By the way how much of the main quest is left? (I never got very far in Daggerfall, and DFU runs a lot better than DF on my PC)

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

To be honest, I've been negligent in testing the main quest. I've been too wrapped up in my own. But I need a break from writing, and I think some testing would be good.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Feralwarlord wrote:New builds have certainly been coming in fast lately.
By the way how much of the main quest is left? (I never got very far in Daggerfall, and DFU runs a lot better than DF on my PC)
I'm estimating a total of 7 stages - but stage 5 is a monster and I might split it in half just to make the work more manageable.

With each stage passed, more little problems get solved and more quest support is added to the engine. This has a cumulative effect where each subsequent quest gets a little faster to pass and more scripts "just work". Hopefully I can pass stage 5 faster than 1-4.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Jay_H wrote:To be honest, I've been negligent in testing the main quest. I've been too wrapped up in my own. But I need a break from writing, and I think some testing would be good.
That would be awesome if you can, but no stress if you don't have time or prefer to do something else. :)