Daggerfall Unity 0.4.x - "Vengeance" Update

For all talk about quest development - creation, testing, and quest system.
Interkarma

Re: Daggerfall Unity 0.4.x - "Vengeance" Update

Post by Interkarma »

Deepfighter wrote:A question out of curiosity. Do you use the vanilla quest files or do you use the quest fixes by Tipton (Fixed Quests) and PLRDLF (DFQFIX)?
All quest patches from "Fixed Quests" and "DFQFIX" were applied prior to quests being decompiled from QBN/QRC format into plain text. You will find live quest files in the StreamingAssets/Quests folder of your Daggerfall Unity data. I don't use the binary QBN/QRC files inside player's Arena2 folder.

This means that all patched quest files are part of Daggerfall Unity's open source code in a human readable format, and remaining bugs can be very easily fixed (by myself or the greater community). Besides additional fixes to quest scripts, the community will be able to create entirely new Daggerfall quests.

Here is an example of a new quest I wrote for Daggerfall Unity in about 20 minutes using only Notepad. I was able to write and test this quest while the game was running. No need to compile back to binary formats at all - just a simple text file. It might not be obvious right away, but this makes a great many things possible. :)

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Deepfighter wrote:And if not - do you intend to fix the same issues as they fixed? And use in this case e.g. Tiptons unofficial remake of the Cyndassa-Werbeast quest, where he changed (after my opinion) a bit to much.
Any additional content like that would be easy to fix. With just a bit of experience I could honestly go in and un-patch the Cyndassa quest right now and return it to its original state. Interkarma's system is incredibly functional, so quest mods are now already available -- assuming Daggerfall Unity is ready to handle all of the quest's triggers.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

The console history doesn't save the use of the "startquest" command. Changing it would make testing easier for me, but I'm certain there's a good reason it isn't repeatable.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Jay_H wrote:The console history doesn't save the use of the "startquest" command. Changing it would make testing easier for me, but I'm certain there's a good reason it isn't repeatable.
I didn't spot that. Not intended, thanks for letting me know.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

I've updated Live Builds page to latest code now.

Changes
  • Fix for starting Mynisera's Letters. You should now be able to complete this quest, rounding out Stage 2 with only some bug fixes required (see below).
  • Improved enemy equipment calculations (humans and orcs will use their own armour and weapons for combat purposes). (Allofich)
  • Improved loot tables by dungeon type. (Allofich)
  • Location and building discovery like classic. Player will now need to discover locations through quests or exploration. Buildings are discovered as player interacts with them.
  • Exterior automap and travel map updated to support discovery. (Nystul)
  • Improved player movement speed calculation based on attributes. (Allofich)
  • New texture import support for billboard batches. This should allow mod authors to replace all foliage sprites in world. (TheLacus)
  • Fast travel countdown on travel map and fix for borders showing on zoom. (Nystul)
  • Transport menu: Foot, Horse, Cart, Ship now supported. (Hazelnut)
  • Info popups based on item type and improved text macro support. (Hazelnut)
  • Fix for bucklers and two-handed weapons. (Allofich)
  • Fix to prevent fast travel with enemies nearby. (Allofich)
  • More combat sounds. (Allofich)
Known Issues
  • Mynisera's Letters will place target item in one of three possible locations, unlike classic which always stashes target in same location.
  • "hide npc" on Mynisera only operates if player enters Castle Daggerfall after quest has started.
  • Ship is not considered player housing at this time. Any loot dropped on the ship will disappear.
  • Refer to this earlier post for additional bugs and limitations in 0.4.
For a complete list of detailed code changes, please review the commit history on GitHub. There are several smaller changes not mentioned above.

There are more fixes and updates coming soon for quest system. I'll try to wrap these up over the weekend. I didn't want to slow down this release any longer however, as there's some awesome stuff in this build. Tearing around on a horse/cart thanks to Hazelnut is a pure joy. :)

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Interkarma wrote:
  • Location and building discovery like classic. Player will now need to discover locations through quests or exploration. Buildings are discovered as player interacts with them.
  • Exterior automap and travel map updated to support discovery. (Nystul)
Oh man, now I have to make sure all my quests have "reveal dungeon" commands in them! I've skated by until now :)[/list]

I just want to give a ton of thanks to the contributors who've added a ton of functionality, and to Interkarma for starting and maintaining this project. Daggerfall Unity is becoming functional at a rapid pace!

I just read the bugs and limitations and I will remember them without fail!

Midknightprince

Post by Midknightprince »

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :!:
Check out my YouTube Channel!

NikitaTheTanner

Post by NikitaTheTanner »

So much change! Much wow! :D
Really digging the progress, guys! It's awesome to see many people working and contributing to the project!

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

I've just issued Live Builds for Vengeance #83. This is mostly a bug-fix build, but has a few new features. Main changes are:
  • 'setmqstage 4' available (Lhotun's missing brother), but still in progress. Will post more on this once I iron out some small issues.
  • Work started on guild services framework.
  • Work started work on purchase window (only from magic item seller in Mages Guild at this time).
  • Animated UI images in inventory. Magic swirls on magic items and coins on items for sale.
  • Fix for material weight calculation.
  • More fixes for item pickup problems.
  • Fix for quest resource being unlinked from behaviour in scene after load. This would break mummy wrapping quest, for example.
  • Tweaks to enemy speed and range to make them slightly less potent. This is subject to further refinement in future.
The GitHub commits page has full details of changes and work by contributors.

Midknightprince

Post by Midknightprince »

Interkarma wrote:I've just issued Live Builds for Vengeance #83. This is mostly a bug-fix build, but has a few new features. Main changes are:
  • 'setmqstage 4' available (Lhotun's missing brother), but still in progress. Will post more on this once I iron out some small issues.
  • Work started work on purchase window (only from magic item seller in Mages Guild at this time).
  • Animated UI images in inventory. Magic swirls on magic items and coins on items for sale.
  • Fix for material weight calculation.
  • More fixes for item pickup problems.
  • Fix for quest resource being unlinked from behaviour in scene after load. This would break mummy wrapping quest, for example.
  • Tweaks to enemy speed and range to make them slightly less potent. This is subject to further refinement in future.
Man, I was just building from current code (yep, I downloaded Unity editor and figured it out), but you beat me too it.
Thank you Interkarma !
Check out my YouTube Channel!