The Quest Prompt Thread

For all talk about quest development - creation, testing, and quest system.
Jay_H

Re: The Quest Prompt Thread

Post by Jay_H »

New quest! This one is a high-rank Fighters Guild quest, sending you into a dungeon to slay a Daedra Lord or Daedra Seducer in exchange for a gem. My self-imposed challenge was to use the "pick one" condition appropriately.

I'm making a naming convention for easy storage, which is FGDFU###.txt, for Fighters Guild Daggerfall Unity ###. I've already changed VAMPIRE.txt to 001 in this series.

FGDFU001.txt
FGDFU002.txt
Last edited by Jay_H on Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

This is great! Keep 'em coming! :)

One small thing, the Quest: tag should be the quest filename and DisplayName: should be the friendly name. Like so

Code: Select all

Quest: FGDFU001
DisplayName: Much at Stake
It's not that important, compiler is fairly forgiving. Just DisplayName: tag is what shows up in debugger and could possibly be used in an enhanced log view one day.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

And another! My self-imposed challenge was to use the "create foe" task as a consequence to the PC's actions.

FGDFU003.txt

I made the change you asked for in the previous files :)

And another! This new quest, MCDFU001, is intended to be a series of trivia questions regarding Iliac Bay royalty. It'll be part of the "innkeepers and merchants" line. My self-imposed challenge was to use the "prompt" action correctly.

And another! This new quest, MCDFU002, is a quiz based on gameplay mechanics. It uses a series of prompts to vary the questions, so it'll differ a little each time you try it.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Feralwarlord wrote:Here's a quest idea
Hostile Takeover: a town or city in the region has been taken over by a sizeable band of bandits(maybe 10-30 or so), you are required to go to the town/city and kill them all(they'd ideally spawn in the streets), after which in a town the bandit leader come after you or in a city you have to go the palace to hunt down the leader and his elite guards.

a possible reward would be a large amount of gold and a large reputation gain with the town/city and the faction that gave you the quest and possibly a magic item.
Your quest is finished! I didn't implement the palace thing this time, but it would be easy to do so. You can see a picture gallery of it in action here.

Feralwarlord

Post by Feralwarlord »

Jay_H wrote:
Feralwarlord wrote:Here's a quest idea
Hostile Takeover: a town or city in the region has been taken over by a sizeable band of bandits(maybe 10-30 or so), you are required to go to the town/city and kill them all(they'd ideally spawn in the streets), after which in a town the bandit leader come after you or in a city you have to go the palace to hunt down the leader and his elite guards.

a possible reward would be a large amount of gold and a large reputation gain with the town/city and the faction that gave you the quest and possibly a magic item.
Your quest is finished! I didn't implement the palace thing this time, but it would be easy to do so. You can see a picture gallery of it in action here.
Nice

Feralwarlord

Post by Feralwarlord »

OK now I've had a chance to play it I have to say very nice indeed
heres an image of the aftermath
Screenshot (15).png
Screenshot (15).png (1.14 MiB) Viewed 3813 times
for the palace part of the original idea that could be a 2nd version of the quest that is a lot harder by having a larger number of bandits that spawn faster and in grater numbers, and at any time of day. the leader and his guards in this case should be barbarians, knights or other high hp enemies.
If I can find the time and can figure out how to write quests I'll probably try my hand at writing this myself (assuming someone else hasn't already by then)

Midknightprince

Post by Midknightprince »

The Zombie didn't spawn once inside, rested an hour still nothing
Attachments
even the waypoint
even the waypoint
Desktop 08.15.2017 - 02.39.11.25.png (422.08 KiB) Viewed 3806 times
Shows up on load screen
Shows up on load screen
Desktop 08.15.2017 - 02.37.58.24.png (537.84 KiB) Viewed 3806 times
here's the start...
here's the start...
Desktop 08.15.2017 - 02.36.55.22.png (357.58 KiB) Viewed 3806 times
Last edited by Midknightprince on Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
Check out my YouTube Channel!

Midknightprince

works
Attachments
new to me
new to me
Desktop 08.15.2017 - 02.45.51.26.png (335.18 KiB) Viewed 3804 times
got him
got him
Desktop 08.15.2017 - 02.53.15.30.png (317.01 KiB) Viewed 3804 times
done
done
Desktop 08.15.2017 - 02.56.02.31.png (383.68 KiB) Viewed 3804 times

Midknightprince

This one's REALLY good ! really good
Attachments
FREAKING AMAZING !
FREAKING AMAZING !
Desktop 08.15.2017 - 02.57.56.33.png (367.19 KiB) Viewed 3802 times
last question
last question
Desktop 08.15.2017 - 03.06.05.38.png (339.11 KiB) Viewed 3802 times
Done
Done
Desktop 08.15.2017 - 03.07.29.39.png (382.68 KiB) Viewed 3802 times

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Thank you for your encouraging words! It's good to see they're turning out well. The zombie in the house one is a classic quest, so if it has issues they'll belong in the Bug Reports forum. It had some problems in previous builds but by now it should've been free of hiccups.
Feralwarlord wrote:for the palace part of the original idea that could be a 2nd version of the quest that is a lot harder by having a larger number of bandits that spawn faster and in grater numbers, and at any time of day. the leader and his guards in this case should be barbarians, knights or other high hp enemies.
If I can find the time and can figure out how to write quests I'll probably try my hand at writing this myself (assuming someone else hasn't already by then)
I haven't yet realized a way to define two distinct locations in the same remote city, which is a bit of an impediment. We could just send the PC into a palace in another city if necessary, though that's not quite what we're looking for.

If I spend several more rounds making quests and come back to this one eventually, maybe I'll make its version 2.0. Not sure yet.