Couple Questions about Quests

For all talk about quest development - creation, testing, and quest system.
Ziune Wolf

Couple Questions about Quests

Post by Ziune Wolf »

I have a few questions about the quest system. I've looked a little into Tipton's guide on how to make quests, and I noticed somewhere towards the beginning that every quests needs a quest ID number (or serial number). That's fine, but what it says shortly after that is that the quest ID number needs to be a two digit number, which theoretically means that there can only be 100 unique quest ID's for a given faction. In my eyes, I can see how, over the passage of time and through various mods, there could be more than 100 quests available from a given faction. In Daggerfall Unity, is/will this 100 quest-per-faction limit be retained from classic, or would there be a way we can expand this limit to allow more quests?

The other question I have is, how easy is it/would it be to add additional factions beyond what is already in classic? My idea was to perhaps have a "Werewolf" faction, where lycanthropes can get quests from. I'm sure there could be other cases too where modders may want to add an additional faction to fully implement their concept in-game and make it more realistic.

Thanks guys! Keep up the good work.

Jay_H

Re: Couple Questions about Quests

Post by Jay_H »

I can't answer the second, but I will answer the first.
Tealy Wolf wrote:I've looked a little into Tipton's guide on how to make quests, and I noticed somewhere towards the beginning that every quests needs a quest ID number (or serial number). That's fine, but what it says shortly after that is that the quest ID number needs to be a two digit number, which theoretically means that there can only be 100 unique quest ID's for a given faction. In my eyes, I can see how, over the passage of time and through various mods, there could be more than 100 quests available from a given faction. In Daggerfall Unity, is/will this 100 quest-per-faction limit be retained from classic, or would there be a way we can expand this limit to allow more quests?
The quest number, right. Daggerfall Unity doesn't have a limitation on quest numbers. Classic's use of binary required a limit of 100 quests for organizational purposes, but now that limit is obsolete. Inside your install, you can go to /DaggerfallUnity_Data/StreamingAssets/Tables/Temp-FightersQuests.txt, which will show you all enabled quests for the Fighters Quester. Adding or removing from that table will enable or disable quests in the Fighters Guild. Therefore, if you wanted, you could dump every single rangen quest into the Fighters Guild and be sent on behalf of any guild in the game.

Since the naming convention is obsolete, we can name quests anything we want. Interkarma uses "CUSTOM01.txt" as an example of that.

Ziune Wolf

Post by Ziune Wolf »

Thank you for your reply. That answers that question. I felt like a 100 quest limit seemed like a limitation that would be easily surmountable, given better storage capacity of modern computers.

This raises another question though. From looking at the CUSTOM01 quest, it looks like the "quest preamble" as they call it is a bit different from what http://www.dfworkshop.net/static_files/ ... -docs.html suggests. Is there by any chance an updated tutorial on all the features of making quests in Daggerfall Unity? I apologize if this has already been linked somewhere else.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

This is entering Interkarma's territory so I can only give a partial response. The major texts written so far are:

Compiling
Anatomy of a Task
Place Resource
Scripting Quest Completion

One single unified tutorial doesn't yet exist, so Tipton's documentation, with the modifications shown particularly in "Compiling," will mostly be the guide to use for now:
Interkarma wrote:To help Daggerfall Unity re-compile Template’s source output, I’m going to make some minor changes to the expected source files. I’m trying to keep these changes to an absolute minimum.

First change is for the quest header to be uncommented in source file. For example, _BRISIEN has the following header. The dash ‘-‘ prefix starts a comment.

Ziune Wolf

Post by Ziune Wolf »

Thanks again. Your responses have been very helpful. :)