Quest Showcase

For all talk about quest development - creation, testing, and quest system.
Jay_H

Re: Quest Showcase

Post by Jay_H »

Yeah, Daggerfall was like an alternate universe to me for the first 2 years. It wasn't until I started noticing that the quests repeated themselves, and that not everything was quite as dynamic as I expected, that a little of the magic started to strip away. But it's still among my personal top 3 games of all time.

I remember I once got a quest from the Thieves Guild to take something from a house, and a quest to defend something from the Thieves Guild, in the same town on the same day. I thought to myself, "The two quests are gonna link up and I'm gonna have to choose who I work for!" That wasn't the case, but it made me think the whole world is interconnected and living. Nowadays we can do that sort of thing with a reputation check for the Thieves Guild, as is done in Research Notes, so it isn't impossible.

I didn't want to make too many Cartographer quests due to the thought that people might get bored of their repetitive nature. I'm still a bit on the fence. They're specifically made so that if you fail one, you're not out of the faction immediately. You'll always get a chance to report and return to good standing with them, so you can fail as many times as you want and keep your current rank. They're sort of like background quests that you can do among the flow of the other things you've got planned. I might do more of them if there's higher demand, since there are a lot more witch covens that people can find that could be useful, and you aren't compelled to do any at any time. I'll have to see what I decide later.

Channel1

Post by Channel1 »

Jay_H wrote:Yeah, Daggerfall was like an alternate universe to me for the first 2 years. It wasn't until I started noticing that the quests repeated themselves, and that not everything was quite as dynamic as I expected, that a little of the magic started to strip away. But it's still among my personal top 3 games of all time.

I remember I once got a quest from the Thieves Guild to take something from a house, and a quest to defend something from the Thieves Guild, in the same town on the same day. I thought to myself, "The two quests are gonna link up and I'm gonna have to choose who I work for!" That wasn't the case, but it made me think the whole world is interconnected and living. Nowadays we can do that sort of thing with a reputation check for the Thieves Guild, as is done in Research Notes, so it isn't impossible.

I didn't want to make too many Cartographer quests due to the thought that people might get bored of their repetitive nature. I'm still a bit on the fence. They're specifically made so that if you fail one, you're not out of the faction immediately. You'll always get a chance to report and return to good standing with them, so you can fail as many times as you want and keep your current rank. They're sort of like background quests that you can do among the flow of the other things you've got planned. I might do more of them if there's higher demand, since there are a lot more witch covens that people can find that could be useful, and you aren't compelled to do any at any time. I'll have to see what I decide later.
Personally I'd be up for a bunch of cartographer quests, however I think that a lot of them should reveal less important locations. I do understand that the locations are all hand picked, but It just might be a bit weird finding a witch coven at levels under 10. Of course just my opinion...

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

Interkarma wrote: There's something powerful about striking out into the wilds in search of something, anything. Even Morrowind captured this for me. I'm one of the people who enjoyed trying to follow a quest-giver's directions. I had the map stuck to the wall beside me and imagined my adventurer's hands folding something like it away into his backpack after finding his way. The later games kind of ruined this for me with the sheer theme-park density of POIs and directional markers of all kinds.
Oh so much this. Also had the Morrowind map on the wall next to me, in those days before it all turned into quest compasses and floating markers in coolshit theme parks.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Interkermit wrote:Personally I'd be up for a bunch of cartographer quests, however I think that a lot of them should reveal less important locations. I do understand that the locations are all hand picked, but It just might be a bit weird finding a witch coven at levels under 10. Of course just my opinion...
A few of the remaining locations I have are:

Castle Llugwych (which I didn't consider to be important enough to work into a narrative)
Castle Necromoghan (just a hideout for Mynisera, without further importance).
Woodborne Hall (which I didn't want to reveal due to its purpose in the main quest) and
Orsinium (troublesome as noted above)

I could throw in three more of these, if I can't figure out a consistent way to lead to Orsinium.

After that it's a bit of a trouble to nail down places. All of these are coded as permanent locations, meaning you can place them into any quest at any time and use them. If I wanted to choose some other place, Daggerfall would just choose it at random per region, making handwritten directions impossible. Here's the full list of permanent places Daggerfall defines:

AlcaireCoven
BeldamaCoven
BluffCoven
Castle_Necromoghan
Coven_in_the_Marsh
Coven_of_Dust
Coven_of_the_Peaks
DaggerfallCity1
DaggerfallCity2
DaggerfallCastle
DaggerfallCastle1
DaggerfallCastle2
DaggerfallWitchs
DevilRockCoven
DirenniTowerEntry
DirenniTower3
DirenniTower2
GlenmorilCoven
KykosCoven
Llugwych
LlugwychCastle
LysandusTomb2
LysandusTomb1
Mantellan_Crux (erroneously defined as Llugwych Castle, noted by Interkarma)
MantellanCrux
OrsiniumCity
OrsiniumCastle1
OrsiniumCastle2
OrsiniumCastle3
OrsiniumCastle4
PirateerHold1
PirateerHold2
ScourgBarrowEntry
ScourgBarrow1
ScourgBarrow2
SentinelCity
SentinelCastle
SentinelCastle4
ShedungentEntry
Shedungent1
Shedungent2
Shedungent4
SkeffingtonCoven
TamarilynCoven
MyrkwasaCoven
WayrestCity
WayrestCastle
WayrestCastle2
WoodbourneHall5
WoodbourneHall4
WrothCoven

It's necessary to have a quest marker at these places to ensure a victory trigger plays; otherwise we could just tell people to go somewhere but the game wouldn't recognize their presence there as a victory condition. That can only be done, definitively, at previously defined locations.

But if anyone else wants to start modding in more locations as permanent, I'd be happy to expand :lol:

Channel1

Post by Channel1 »

@JayH

That's a shame, still awesome quests though. :)

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

I've uploaded the remaining Cartographer quests. Now there are 9 in the third tier! Orsinium is by far the hardest, and Woodborne Hall is by far the easiest. In terms of fun factor, for me Direnni Tower and Castle Llugwych win. But I'll let everyone find out for themselves when they give it a shot.

Image Image Image Image

In the meantime I'll start looking at some of the other questlines, unless someone has a request to make for this one.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Jay, just floating an idea to help support the Cartographer quests. As only one location can exist inside a world cell, how about a new condition like the following:

Code: Select all

when pc inside location at 300 186
This would trigger the task when player enters the location rect at map pixel coordinates 300, 186. This would let you pick anywhere on the map and send player to that exterior location. You wouldn't need the location to be specified in fixed location tables, and you can still create your text descriptions by scouting out location before writing the quest. The end result is functionally the same except you can use any exterior location on the map.

You might just need a console command to spit out current map cell coordinates when scouting locations.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Aaah, this would be very good! If so, I could send people anywhere. I just tested getlocpixel a bit, and it seems that would provide me with the data for it.

Haha, I might never escape the Cartographer quests at this rate :lol:

Midknightprince

Post by Midknightprince »

@Jay_H
Ok, time to give these new ones a go.
The Cart guild ones sound right up my alley.
More stuff, I love it !
Check out my YouTube Channel!

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Sounds good. For each one you have to use the "startquest JHCG0__" command in the console. I might string up a sequential order to running them one by one if I have time and people show demand for it.