Quest Showcase

For all talk about quest development - creation, testing, and quest system.
Jay_H

Re: Quest Showcase

Post by Jay_H »

Thank you :) I agree. I hope DFU gets to the point that when you enter a new city and meet new people, you'll always have something new to do.

Luzur

Post by Luzur »

Btw guys, will the older, different quest packs be able to still be installed (CompUSA questpack etc) or even implemented into some quest mod?
"Load the muskets"

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Luzur wrote:Btw guys, will the older, different quest packs be able to still be installed (CompUSA questpack etc) or even implemented into some quest mod?
Rather than use the binary .QRC and .QBN files directly, I opted to build on the intermediate scripting language used by Donald Tipton for TEMPLATE v1.11. Any binary quests can be decompiled using TEMPLATE and dropped into the Daggerfall Unity StreamingResources/Quests folder. And new quests can be written in that language and compiled directly at runtime by Daggerfall Unity using a console command.

I've bundled a fairly comprehensive set of quests with the game download. The default Daggerfall Unity zip includes the 16x CompUSA quests (link here for anyone who doesn't know them). However, not all can be handed out until guilds are fully developed. The Fighters Guild should be handing out their CompUSA quests now through their usual questor.

The download also contains community-made quest fixes in addition to some patches of my own made during the quest build-out process. This will likely be an ongoing process as people add new quests and fix old ones. Modders can also inject new quests and quest actions into the engine.

Here's a list of the community fixes integrated with the quest scripts in Daggerfall Unity.
  • FixedQuests by Donald Tipton
  • DFQFIX 3.3 by PRDLF
  • Q0C00Y03 Fix by GhanBuriGhan
The other community-made quest packs can be decompiled and included at a later date. I had enough on my plate at the time and decided to stick with Core+CompUSA+Fixes in the default loadout. :)

Midknightprince

Post by Midknightprince »

What's the last time you updated the DL Jay_H ?
Last one I got was 10/25/17.
Do I need to update ?
Check out my YouTube Channel!

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Hahaha, I have no idea :lol: I remember I did some piecemeal revisions of some quests awhile ago, maybe like a month, but I can't remember whether I uploaded that. I haven't actually worked on new quests in quite awhile. I'll take a look later today and come up with a better answer.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Since October I added two quests: a beginner-level knightly order quest to take a weapon to an experienced knight, and a merchant quest to buy a treasure map that leads to a dungeon. They aren't groundbreaking, but they are new content. I'll be working on the classic DF quests until I reach DFU's current limits, and then I might return to work on some more new quests. My time right now is limited, so if I get one good day a week to do anything, I'm sort of lucky.

New quests link once more: http://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxjB9-1 ... sp=sharing

Midknightprince

Thanks Jay :D

Midknightprince

How about this Jay, backstory quests..
All it needs is the race, sex, and name.
Somehow get the game to do the combos, and pick it when you accept the quest.
I'm thinking a different one for each combo (that's what, 18X2) so A LOT of writing, but they need to be epic, and long winded.
Custom classes get to pick their own from the list with sex as the only limiting factor (if it can be done when it's presented you're asked to pick some char trait questions ala gamestart mode, would be a nice workaround).
Maybe even leading up to a marriage with your highschool sweetheart (don't know about this one, but it sounds cool, and wouldn't really change anything unless you guys get some bright ideas) maybe she/he can give you stuff from time to time, something permanent..

I always wanted more from the backstory in the journal, and theres alot of directions you can go here, doesn't have to be a marriage.
Maybe you're an orc, and your home is being rooted out by some angry farmers, of better yet they kidnapped someone, maybe some clan totem etc..
it doesn't even have to involve any fighting really, but alot of story potential here methinks ;), and give it a reason for going back there, maybe they give you cool stuff every so often, maybe you get a small house.
It would be cool.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

More creativity and more possibilities :) Just to keep things organized, I'll point out what can't be done with DFU for now. If these capabilities get modded in later, all the better.
Custom classes get to pick their own from the list with sex as the only limiting factor (if it can be done when it's presented you're asked to pick some char trait questions ala gamestart mode, would be a nice workaround).
During gameplay, DFU can only offer prompts with yes/no answers. If we went through a detailed biography, that would take quite awhile ;) If this could be modded into character creation that would be a different matter.
Maybe even leading up to a marriage with your highschool sweetheart (don't know about this one, but it sounds cool, and wouldn't really change anything unless you guys get some bright ideas) maybe she/he can give you stuff from time to time, something permanent..
DFU currently can't make a persistent name for a quest NPC, except if they're the main quest ones like Gothryd and Nulfaga. This means the NPC name would have to be the same every game, until a permanent shelf is made for that kind of data.
I always wanted more from the backstory in the journal, and theres alot of directions you can go here, doesn't have to be a marriage.
I agree. The journal was always a massive roleplaying hook for me with Daggerfall :D Extending that directly into gameplay has a lot of potential, yes.
maybe they give you cool stuff every so often, maybe you get a small house.
Spontaneous gifts are certainly possible, but granting a house is currently beyond quest capabilities. I know it's just the first thing that came to your mind, but I didn't want to leave anything out.

Midknightprince

Man, you could really explore some ideas for this one, the picking yes/no would almost be better, give us some choice, but could more questions leading up to various quest lines be asked or just one ?
I'm thinking loads of questions leading up to a possable quest line, of many..
Maybe how you finnish a quest determines how the next one plays out, or changes it all together.

Could you link quests ?
They should be non failable, just depending on how you finnish it, fix it in the dialog to keep it going.

They never have to end if you keep making stuff up.
I'm thinking Beastmaster type quest (hey thats just me) like the actual Beastmaster, but who knows if thats possable, it would be awesome to have a pet rat...kinda :lol: