Quest Showcase

For all talk about quest development - creation, testing, and quest system.
Jay_H

Re: Quest Showcase

Post by Jay_H »

Right on! :) Yeah, the Archaeologists are bad news. They'll be useful later on, but they're miserable people to be around. You'll see that in-depth as I develop the questline :)

The new build is awesome if only because it now uses the "pick one" quest action properly, which several of my quests depend on. Now that it's fixed, I'm going to put the finishing touches on the Cartographer system, so soon it should be able to carry itself from start to finish.

I also worked out my concept for the next quest, which is going to be another PQ. The key word is werewolf... :twisted:

Midknightprince

Post by Midknightprince »

Jay_H wrote: I also worked out my concept for the next quest, which is going to be another PQ. The key word is werewolf... :twisted:
That's the magic word !
It's christmas again ! :D :D :D
Check out my YouTube Channel!

MrDowntempo

Post by MrDowntempo »

Jay_H wrote:JHKN009: A cult of giants in the region has gained some minor skill with necromancy. You are sent to end this cult.

Image Image Image Image Image

I couldn't help myself. During this quest the necromancy takes a back seat to the giants. In my last test run, only two undead spawned. However, since wraiths can be dangerous to lower-level characters, I think that's appropriate. If they needed to, players can just kill the giants and flee the wraiths. I hope the undead twist differentiates it enough from the Fighters Guild and Mages Guild giant-slaying quests.
Me and my big mouth!

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

I promise you it was not out of spite, I'm running a little shallow on ideas right now :geek:

MrDowntempo

Post by MrDowntempo »

Jay_H wrote:I promise you it was not out of spite, I'm running a little shallow on ideas right now :geek:
I believe you :) If you're running low on ideas, you could always skim through TVTropes

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Just watched the Archaeologist video. Under the failure condition, they don't prevent you from getting work; they just do a credible smear job on you ;) Once peasant rumors are implemented, you'll see not everyone takes them as seriously as they do.

JHPQ010: Werewolves are showing up in increasing numbers. What could be causing them?

Image Image Image

This was a beast to put together. The more time you let pass during this quest, the more frequent the werewolf attacks will be. To me they're kind of scary on their own, but much more so when you're getting pursued by them all the time. This quest has some long pause periods without direction, where you're intended to go about your ordinary adventuring life while the problem gradually gets worse.

If a player doesn't want to get involved with this quest when it randomly spawns, they can simply not kill the first werewolves. After that the quest should harmlessly defuse when its timer runs out.

Midknightprince

Jay_H wrote: JHPQ010: Werewolves are showing up in increasing numbers. What could be causing them?
Not looking at the Screenshots, didn't read any info, NOPE !
I'm taking my time with this one..

When these PQ's just start going off randomly, that's going to be a sight to see Jay.

Thumbs up man :D

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

OK, I've uploaded a new version of the quests. With that it should be easy to get into the Cartographer quests and the perpetual quests.

To start the perpetual quests: Use console command "startquest JHPINIT"

To start the Cartographer quests: Use console command "startquest JHPQ005"

Midknightprince

Jay_H wrote:OK, I've uploaded a new version of the quests. With that it should be easy to get into the Cartographer quests and the perpetual quests.

To start the perpetual quests: Use console command "startquest JHPINIT"

To start the Cartographer quests: Use console command "startquest JHPQ005"
Man, you are amazing.
I'm fixing to do the first dungeon in the werewolf invasion.
Whew man, it's like main quests stuff here :D
Should I finish this before I get the new thing about persistent quests that you just did ?
I'm at less than 100 days now. and I don't want to mess it up. :shock:

Midknightprince

Yep, it still works in # 84 ? ( where are we at now :lol: ) X 64 that just came out.
I have to go back to town and sell stuff, plus the dungeon funkyness "when you FINALLY go to bed at 3 a.m. then load the next day" bug ;)
Just letting you know, it's still going in X64 :D.
Haven't tried the PQ download yet.
I'm thinking I should finnish ?
I wanna finnish 8-)