Quest Showcase

For all talk about quest development - creation, testing, and quest system.
Midknightprince

Re: Quest Showcase

Post by Midknightprince »

@Jay_H
JHPQ001 is just flat out cool.
Did that one twice (To be continued) because why not huh ?

JHPQ002 took me 3 hours to complete (stayed up way too late last night finishing that one), and I leveled up twice, in the dungeon, no crashes, no funkyness.
Let me just tell you, that orc boss was hard.

I'm going down the list, one by one...
Check out my YouTube Channel!

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Sounds good :) Yeah, the Necromancers are one faction I have a lot of theoretical plans for, but nothing written down yet. I've got to make 'em awesome or I'll feel really disappointed with myself. So I might not work on them for awhile. But I'm happy with their first quest :)

When you hit PQ004, accept it and then fail it one time and see what happens. You should get a reaction of some kind afterwards :)

Midknightprince

Jay_H wrote:
When you hit PQ004, accept it and then fail it one time and see what happens. You should get a reaction of some kind afterwards :)
Sounds good, and PQ003 :lol: , I'm gonna need a bigger gun.
I'll come back to it later, as i made a new guy, I just can't hit the Gargoyle with Dwarven.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

That's good. I wanted to ensure the danger wouldn't come onto you so suddenly, so you'd have a chance to escape; the next enemy you'd be facing would not have given you such a chance ;)

This comes back, in a sense, to how Interkarma wrote the necromancer graveyard quest. DFU will teach you what you need to know to win, but it won't hold your hand or force victory to always be available. On some quests you just have to come back and try later. That's a feeling I think a lot of players want to find, but they don't, with how games nowadays try to be "always winnable." If the game is instead relentless with mysteries and challenges, it'll keep you coming back to find out what's beyond each succeeding hill. (For me a good case study in this is the MMBN3 postgame. Some people spent 20 hours on the main storyline and 200 on the postgame.) Not that I'm perfect at doing all that, but I'll try.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Midknightprince wrote:
I'm gonna have to get thinking about the Necromancer questline, since I think it's gonna be a popular one :lol: I have a few more ideas for isolated quests I'm gonna be implementing... I'll see what I get a chance to do in the next few days.

Channel1

Post by Channel1 »

About the cartographer quest, are they all just "discover this location and that's it"? Or are there any twists like random ambushes? If not I think that could be quite cool, e.g. You are asked to scout out a random location, once you arrive you could have a 25% chance of being ambushed or similar.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

They don't have any combat triggers. Technically that'd be quite easy to implement, but making sense of it in the narrative would be more of a stretch. I could always just say it's because people were grave robbing/spelunking/plundering/kidnapping/exploring on their own terms and it's a poor coincidence that we met.

To me it's a bit of a divergence from their current direction. I don't want them to become boring, but I also want to give people a hassle-free questline where they can just unwind and explore in peace. If anyone else wants to add their opinion on this, they're more than welcome to, to see what the community would prefer. For me either option is fine.

Midknightprince

I like the mix up in his quests personally.
With the Cart guild, it's just about exploring the world.

In classic there was no magnificent view, no "oh, I wonder whats over that horizon, that hill, in that valley", which is a pitty because the world is so big.

From what I understand, radom encounters are already in the works, and its in classic, so no real need to change stuff up.
It's a change of pace, a new kind of quest if you will.

With all these mods going, the view distance, trees, weather going off eventually, this is a pretty place to look at, and explore for explorations sake.
It's a new way to play, and I like the thought of it.

I could be wrong though, never thought I'd like the necromancer quest, but I do.

"To be continued" :D

Al-Khwarizmi

Post by Al-Khwarizmi »

Jay_H wrote:They don't have any combat triggers. Technically that'd be quite easy to implement, but making sense of it in the narrative would be more of a stretch. I could always just say it's because people were grave robbing/spelunking/plundering/kidnapping/exploring on their own terms and it's a poor coincidence that we met.

To me it's a bit of a divergence from their current direction. I don't want them to become boring, but I also want to give people a hassle-free questline where they can just unwind and explore in peace. If anyone else wants to add their opinion on this, they're more than welcome to, to see what the community would prefer. For me either option is fine.
I think there could be a middle ground... you could add some cartographer quests with violence, but warn beforehand.

Something like, we need to make a map of point X, but there is a clan of giants around that doesn't seem to like being disturbed, the last cartographer we sent unfortunately returned without his head, etc.

Then the player would decide whether they want to accept the quest or not, knowing that it might not be as peaceful as other such quests.

Anyway, I would also be fine with cartographer quests having no ambushes. It's not like there aren't plenty of guilds and factions to join if one wants action! :) Apart from the fact that there are random encounters too.

MrDowntempo

Post by MrDowntempo »

Al-Khwarizmi wrote:
Jay_H wrote: Something like, we need to make a map of point X, but there is a clan of giants around that doesn't seem to like being disturbed, the last cartographer we sent unfortunately returned without his head, etc.
Necromancer Giants!?!?! No thank you, I think I'll just label that 'don't go here' on MY map.