Quest Showcase

For all talk about quest development - creation, testing, and quest system.
Jay_H

Re: Quest Showcase

Post by Jay_H »

Good! :) I want to create situations that are challenging. Daggerfall always seemed too easy to me. This'll be something I can build on when spell effects are available; imagine walking into an ambush and finding yourself silenced and poisoned ;)

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Jay_H wrote:imagine walking into an ambush and finding yourself silenced and poisoned ;)
You are evil incarnate. :evil: :lol:

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Naaah, it'll be for one of my superquests :D Or at least you'll need 100+ reputation to access some of these. Trust me, I'm gonna have stuff that'll keep people coming back for a long time! :lol:

(And that's not even the worst of them. Once Notorgo's Curse is available, just wait 'til you can't even run away from your enemies.)

Midknightprince

Post by Midknightprince »

Finnished the litch quest..
To be continued ?
SWEET !!!
All you can really do is run for your life.
Tried to make a stand at the exit, no go...
Think I'm ready for the gem one again..... :D
And no, no console commands, I just ran like heck....
Check out my YouTube Channel!

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Did you make a video of it? :)

Midknightprince

Jay_H wrote:Did you make a video of it? :)

I'm going through them so I know how they go.
I will. :D

Midknightprince

@Jay_H.
Something about " sacrificial lamb".
It can be used as a level farming quest.
Also, everytime you load the game while doing it, stuff spawns no matter how long it's been, and if you quit the game and come back, or fall through the void, its unrecoverable, you have to quit the app (happend twice on my end), and the spawns get funky (they can't hit you, and are one hit kills).
Maybe it's the build, or (what I'm leaning towards) the longer you let it run, and/or level up (which again, the build).
I was resting, and fast traveling so I wouldent miss a spawn.
Seems like it's every 16 - 18 hours ?
When I would zone or fast travel is when I would get the void.
It's one of my favorite quests so far tho, and all you have to do is purgeall fyi.
Maybe it's all the mods I'm running, and the spawn camping, BUT I JUST CAN'T HELP IT :D :D :D

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Yeah, the nature of the game is that when you join together a lot of human enemies, there'll be a lot of loot and it'll quickly become a bit imbalanced. There are a couple of ways to balance it more:

1. Change all spawned enemies to Nightblade, so once the magic system is in place you'll get nuked for 600+ damage at each spawn :) For now Nightblades are just like Thieves, but later on they'll be a nightmare, if they're anything like classic.
2. Change all enemies to non-humans like Gargoyles, but that breaks the storyline and sets a minimum material requirement.

I justify it in that there are quests like the Lord K'avar one where you have groups of 4 enemies spawning for months at a time, all with their equipment on them. Maybe later on we can create altered duplicate NPC classes with reduced loot tables who we can spawn into these kinds of quests. Daggerfall's whole item system needs to have a much better progression, IMO ;) In either case, it's about equivalent to what you'd get crawling through two whole dungeons, just in a much more compressed time period.

As for the buggy stuff, the void is something I haven't reported since I can never find a way to properly isolate it. I've had it happen after fast travel and upon leaving buildings, but it's still like a 1/15 chance. The odd enemy behavior sounds vaguely familiar but I don't think I've taken an interest in it yet.

My expectation for this quest is that the majority are going to run off to Dragontail Mountains and back just to run out the quest timer, so real farming won't be something most people do. I want to make it dangerous enough that people actually do run, but nightblades become lethal after about level 10, and other classes are too weak. Mages could be an option but I think they'd just do a mass crowdkill and that could make it really easy or really hard.

The loot alteration is probably the only real solution, and that's a long ways away.

And yes, the enemies spawn every 18 hours.

EDIT: I decided to slow spawning to every 72 hours. It'll keep them on you, but it'll reduce farming a little.

Midknightprince

Oh boy....
This was hard.
The gem quest, and the litch one, all in one Fell Swoop.
I'm cutting it up now so it may be a bit.
Hope you like it because I love these things :D :D :D :D

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Watching your videos gives me satisfaction, just in seeing Daggerfall expand a little more before my eyes :) Thanks for the work you do.