Quest Showcase

For all talk about quest development - creation, testing, and quest system.
Jay_H

Re: Quest Showcase

Post by Jay_H »

Midknightprince wrote:
On the first quest, The Bodyguard, you literally saved the client by like 2 seconds. If you had taken any longer he would've been dead :lol: This is a great video to showcase these quests.

I'm wondering what rewards the Knightly Order can give in its upper tiers to compensate for the lack of gold in the low- and mid-level ones. I'll see what I do with that.

Midknightprince

Post by Midknightprince »

Jay_H wrote: On the first quest, The Bodyguard, you literally saved the client by like 2 seconds. If you had taken any longer he would've been dead :lol:
Ahh clever indeed, good thing I made it ;)
Jay_H wrote: I'm wondering what rewards the Knightly Order can give in its upper tiers to compensate for the lack of gold in the low- and mid-level ones. I'll see what I do with that.
No biggie, I'm rich as it is.
Hopefully magic stuff comes sooner than later...maybe a bow :D
Check out my YouTube Channel!

Midknightprince

Post by Midknightprince »

JHPQO01, JHPQ002 ?!?!

Quest overload time. :lol:
Check out my YouTube Channel!

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

JHPQ003: You are asked to participate in a duel of sorts with a regional citizen. However, once the duel is underway, it becomes clear this is no ordinary hand-to-hand match. This will eventually open a new questline, perhaps with a new selection of spells to gain.

This has a few limitations and quirks to it. I want each corpse to disappear, but that's not implemented yet (and may not be at all). The first enemy will appear elsewhere in the house, but all others will show up next to the citizen; this is a workaround that allows the questgiver to disappear, which I previously had problems doing.

Also, never forget to put a colon at the end of each task name. That cost me half an hour of testing today :(

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

JHPQ004: The Archaeologists are looking for new employees in their work of looking for and recovering ancient artifacts in Tamriel. As a new recruit, your first assignment will be to carry a report from a dungeon to your recruiter. Use console command "startquest JHPQ004" to begin.

I intend to make it rewarding to stay with them and to betray them, but their attitude and behavior will leave most players little remorse if they turn away. The Archaeologists will be a pseudo-guild who send you quests of increasing importance until you start becoming a part of real artifact investigations.

Sequential screenshots for now since Imgur is acting weird: [1] [2] [3] [4] [5]. This is the first quest to use the newly-implemented "start quest" action. Try enrolling in the faction and then failing the quest, then see what happens a few days after.

EDIT: This quest has been wiped in favor of Hazelnut's Archaeologist mod.
Last edited by Jay_H on Tue May 15, 2018 1:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

JHPQ005: In direct contrast to the Archaeologists, the Cartographers are a cheerful, albeit somewhat poorly funded, association that makes and improves the maps of the Iliac Bay. Your first task, to find a civilized location within the region, is fairly dull, but soon they'll send you to the four quarters of the earth. To start it, use console command "startquest JHPQ005."

As you can tell, this will also lead into a pseudo-guild. You'll generally be sent to far-off locations, but they won't always be so easy to find. Some of them could be useful, however.

Image uploads are still weird.

http://i.imgur.com/3UzFyY7.png
http://i.imgur.com/IJ4COaa.png
http://i.imgur.com/hjggfST.png

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

JHCG001: The first Cartographer quest. Find a forgotten cemetery in the current region and report its precise whereabouts to the field officer.

I intend to branch the Cartographer quests so that you have an increasing probability of advancing in rank after each quest. Each rank will send you to more exotic locations and pay you better. So far things have been pretty boring, but I believe the good stuff will be valuable to some players. Use console command "startquest JHCG001" to start it.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

JHCG002: Another Cartographer quest. The town guard needs your help to locate a specific dungeon hosting a band of criminals. Scout it and inform your field officer about its location so they can begin their assault. Use console command "startquest JHCG002" to start it.

I have in mind what I'm going to do with the upper tiers of the Cartographers. For now I need to set up a bunch of busybody quests for the lower levels. Soon I'll be able to set up a rudimentary system to randomly choose and offer these quests, making the first functional Perpetual Quest cycle in DFU.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

JHCG003: Cartographers quest. Since you're still a new recruit, the higher officers want to supervise your work. A member of Explorer rank will accompany you on a simple mission to a rural home. Use console command "startquest JHCG003" to try it.

This is the last of the introductory Cartographer missions. After this there'll be tier 2 quests, which will begin to mix in more interesting things. I also developed a quest rotation system, but the "pick one" flaw prevents it from working as intended. Once that's resolved, the quest system will propel itself continuously.

With this done, we now have 50 custom quests in Daggerfall Unity.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

JHCG011: Cartographers Quest. The association needs you to travel to Scourg Barrow as part of its map project. If you don't know how to get there, instructions are available to arrive on foot.

JHCG012: Cartographers Quest. The association needs you to travel to Shedungent as part of its map project. If you don't know how to get there, instructions are available to arrive on foot.

JHCG013: Cartographers Quest. The association needs you to travel to Glenmorial Coven as part of its map project. If you don't know how to get there, instructions are available to arrive on foot.

This is the major gist of what Cartographer quests will be like. At the first instance they're going to be a bog as you try to find the quest location in the wilderness. Once you've discovered it, each trip will be easy money.

These three quests will compose the second tier of Cartographer quests. I chose the Glenmoril Coven since it only summons Hircine, making for a limited taste of power. The other two quest locations are less important as well, but some of the tier 3 locations could be massively useful for the main quest. If someone chooses to avoid the main quest entirely, they could be used as a backdoor to finding them. The third tier will be the final one. It'll send the PC to the following locations, at least:
Spoiler!
Direnni Tower
Orsinium
Lysandus' Tomb
Multiple witch covens across High Rock and Hammerfell.
Tier 3 will cycle around once and again until the player gets tired of it and gives up.

The mechanics on these quests are entirely formulaic, so all I'm changing are the target variables and the dialogue. Planning out the routes, though, is very time-consuming.