Custom quest support

For all talk about quest development - creation, testing, and quest system.
Interkarma

Re: Custom quest support

Post by Interkarma »

That's a weird one. Oh well, at least it doesn't seem quest related for now. Let us know if you can reproduce sometime and we can take another swing.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Let's say I wanted to alter _BRISIEN to add some "start quest" tasks to it, to alter the beginning of Daggerfall, without modifying the _BRISIEN.txt in the quest folder. Is that feasible? Or is replacing the original the only way to mod this kind of addition in?

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Replacing would be the only way right now.

What we need is a "quest launcher" mod or something to make it easy just to package quests and and set their startup conditions. For example it could have the intelligence to start custom quests at beginning of game, or when player enters a certain location, or if quest not already running, or whatever people can think of.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

No problem at all. I can always go the regular route of making a _BRISIEN.OLD file and including installation instructions.

After all, compared to modding for TES 3-5, modding DFU is a dream :D

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

I'm fooling around with item dead_body, like the one used for Lord Castellian. I remember on Twitter you (Interkarma) mentioned you could accidentally pick up his body and carry it around, and it looks like that's still possible. Did you ever get that neutralized in the main quest or is it just something we'll have to deal with for now?

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

You know, I can't recall what I did here on the robe quest. I'm not sure I got back to that at all.

From memory, the body is dropped as a quest Item resource - so there's nothing differentiating from any other quest item. Possibly Daggerfall does something hardcoded here (e.g. if item is body then ignore click).

I remember at the time that I kind of liked the idea of being able to pick these bodies up, as it could have some quest utility. For example, a quest to recover a widow's dead husband from a local dungeon after he had a failed attempt at adventuring on his own. I'd hate to just shut this down out of hand.

Maybe I need to add a flag to Item resource declaration for "nopickup" or something like that, so quest author can decide if the item should stay put.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

In classic it just says "This is too heavy." The body weighs 200kg (wow, Lord Castellian), so no classic player would ever be able to carry it. DFU doesn't make a weight check so you can immediately rise beyond the encumbrance limit.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Good to know the mechanic, thank you! This should be easy enough to implement as quest Item resources also contain the actual item (including weights). It would be a trivial thing to check when clicking on item.

Methinks, old Lord Castellian should lay off the feasting for a while. :)

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

have anitem do atask is listed in green on the roadmap, but I can't get it to work. I also tried substituting start atask but it's the same. These are the tasks I'm working with:

Code: Select all

_b1_ task:
	have _art1_ do _victory_

_b2_ task:
	have _art2_ do _victory_

_b3_ task:
	have _art3_ do _victory_

_b4_ task:
	have _art4_ do _victory_

_b5_ task:
	have _art5_ do _victory_

_b6_ task:
	have _art6_ do _victory_

_b7_ task:
	have _art7_ do _victory_

_victory_ task:
	give pc nothing
	end quest

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

I think issue here is that "have anItem" is not a trigger condition, it's just a regular old action. So if the parent task hasn't triggered, then neither will the HaveItem action.

You should be able to put this action into the startup task for example, or any other triggered task for it to work.