Custom quest support

For all talk about quest development - creation, testing, and quest system.
Jay_H

Re: Custom quest support

Post by Jay_H »

In classic Daggerfall, the game refused to run more than one of the same quest at a time, regardless of multiple questgivers offering them (the quest would simply blank out, without even a refusal message). Is that limit something DFU's going to incorporate later?

Also, in classic you can only get visited by couriers when you're outdoors and in civilization. Would we just use give pc letter38 notify 1011 like the main quest does to do that?

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Jay_H wrote:In classic Daggerfall, the game refused to run more than one of the same quest at a time, regardless of multiple questgivers offering them (the quest would simply blank out, without even a refusal message). Is that limit something DFU's going to incorporate later?
Apart from Sx story quests, I don't see a reason why the same quest couldn't be issued multiple times. Something to review in future I guess.
Jay_H wrote: Also, in classic you can only get visited by couriers when you're outdoors and in civilization. Would we just use give pc letter38 notify 1011 like the main quest does to do that?
Yes, this needs to be fixed. But it's more subtle than expected. What if quest author wants to give player something outside of civilization? I'm not 100% sure how classic makes this differentiation at this stage, but it's something I plan to dive into at some point. Besides emulating classic, I'd like to give quest authors clear control over this also. :)

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Jay, I've just implemented the "restrain foe" action, and it will be in next builds. This quest action allows you to turn a foe non-hostile until player attacks them again.

One example of this is M0B40Y05 where player can either kill or strike a deal with a spriggan. Another is M0B00Y17 where you can ring a bell to pacify a runaway pet tiger.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

YES!!! That's gonna rock! Thanks for the heads-up :)

About restricting instances of the same quest, it's all up to you. You're free to decide whether that was an intentional or mechanical limitation. I have plans for either outcome.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

I wasn't sure where to put this since I haven't reported it as a bug yet. I decided to check the player log when a "pick one" failed to fire. This is what it showed:

Code: Select all

PickOneOf failed to activate task.  Quest: 33562964 Task: 33562965 Selected: 

(Filename: /home/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/DebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 51)

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Could you attach quest source for me as well? Thank you mate. :)

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

This is it: http://pastebin.com/13a8Hhti. I had to neuter the "start quest" actions because if it tries that action without the corresponding quest being available, the whole system goes berserk and floods the player.log file :) But I don't think that should affect what we're dealing with here.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Thanks Jay. I'll look into what's happening here.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

This should be fixed in next build. The parser for "pick one of" had some whitespace handling problems where extra spaces at front of line or between task names were accepted as empty symbols. I've cleaned up this parsing now and hopefully no more problems with this action.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

RIGHT ON! :D If "pick one" is fixed, that'll make things awesome for next build. Thanks Interkarma! :)