Custom quest support

For all talk about quest development - creation, testing, and quest system.
Jay_H

Re: Custom quest support

Post by Jay_H »

There appears to be something wrong with how "remote palace" is generating. I'm working on a quest that involves a remote palace, and it keeps sending me to places that have no palaces. The few that do have them don't trigger the "pc at" condition. Exploring these cities, no building has its name displayed like a quest location would.

If there is an engine problem with this, it'll certainly come up in the main questline, at "The Emperor's Courier."

Local palace has no similar problem. Wasn't sure whether to put this as a bug report since it's technically out of scope for now.

Quest file

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Thanks for the great information! :)

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

False alarm, sorry. Remote palace does work properly, I was just generating place name text based off of the noble (who has a randomly chosen birthplace somewhere in the region).

So there's no problem with remote palace, it's all functional.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

On the other hand, it looks like these quests I'm writing are too much for the engine to handle. I've got about 20 tasks on the left side, and when the time comes to alter them around, some of them just stop; in this quest I'm doing now, time itself actually stopped once it began attempting to run a new version of the "spawn" condition:

Code: Select all

_spawn_ task:
   when _timer_ and _inside_ and _night_ and not _false_
	create foe _enemy_ every 3 minutes 2 times with 100% success
	start timer _death_
	say 1015

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Jay_H wrote:On the other hand, it looks like these quests I'm writing are too much for the engine to handle. I've got about 20 tasks on the left side, and when the time comes to alter them around, some of them just stop; in this quest I'm doing now, time itself actually stopped once it began attempting to run a new version of the "spawn" condition:

_spawn_ task:
	start timer _death_
	say 1015
Not sure on this one. Time itself (day to night, etc.) shouldn't stop as world time runs independently of the quest system (which is a client of world time). Do you mean one or quest timers no longer continued to count down?

My feeling is either something froze the quest or questmachine, or the quest ended prematurely. If you can find the minimum quest script to reproduce the issue, I'd be happy to take a look. :)

And thanks for update on remote palace.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

I'll work on paring it down to minimums as I get a chance. I gave it a bit more testing to try to see what's going on, and the problem occurs with one specific quest action attempting to start:

_spawn_ task:
	start timer _death_
	say 1015
When its conditions are met, it not only refuses to fire, but the actual time module in the game also stalls while I'm in the building, or in other words, while the conditions are met. If I step outside to remove _inside_, time recovers to where it should be.

First it takes several seconds to end the timer clock:
Once it's ended, all timers hang simultaneously. I walked around the palace:

Once I went outside, the time jumped to 4:04, as I had spent awhile indoors. I walked back in and all timers stopped again.

My computer and the game were running fine, without slowdown or heavy working.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Jay, could you give me a simple complete test script to repro this issue. I'll load it up and work out what's going wrong. Cheers mate. :)

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Well, it's an embarrassing matter. As I worked through the quest file to see how far I could condense it, I realized I misnamed one of my enemy symbols. Resolving that brought the quest to full function.

So using create foe for a non-existent enemy locks the time system. If you still want a quest file for it, this should do.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Thanks Jay. The output log should be dumping that error when quest crashes, but really need a way to inform quest author something's wrong. I will look into adding console output to quest debugger for errors like this once quest system nearly complete.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

No worries. My main concern was that the quest system wasn't robust enough to handle all the triggers, so I'm glad it's just a PEBKAC.