Custom quest support

For all talk about quest development - creation, testing, and quest system.
Jay_H

Re: Custom quest support

Post by Jay_H »

I've made a few quests with no questgiver, so I've omitted a _qgclicked_ task. Checking player.log, it looks like DFU forcibly expects one, though the quests still boot. Should I be adding a _qgclicked_ to every quest?

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

The quest system itself has no knowledge of "_qgclicked_", that's not hardcoded anywhere in the quest system itself. Quests without a specific quest giver should be allowed to live and die on their own terms.

It's worth checking that _qgclicked_ doesn't actually appear in the script somewhere. Can you attached the quest script and copy-paste error message for me?

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

I checked for qgclicked, and none turned up. I also added a _qgclicked_ variable just as a failsafe, but that didn't stop it.

Quest file
Error readings

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Thanks, I'll take a look now. For some reason this quest causes my game to hang completely in the editor. I'll track down what's happening.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

For the hanging issue, I happened to execute this quest in Sentinel region, and seems there's very few house1 towns available. I put a maxAttempts sanity check into the Place resource so it at least gives up and throws an error if it can't find the specified building type. Running this in Daggerfall province works OK.

For the other "_qgclicked_" issue, I don't get this on my end. You almost certainly have a dead version of the quest stuck in the quest machine. Use "clearmqstate" to purge the quest machine and try starting quest again. Let me know how you go. :)

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

It looks like you were right. I started with a full purge, and then after trying it again I didn't get that error message. Thank you.

For the other one, that might explain my problem with quests hanging at init with house3. The full list of hung variables in Ilessan Hills was furnitureshop, house3, house5, house6, house7, town1, and town4. So I'll have some new things to try once the new version comes out.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Two birds with one stone. :)

I might rework the "remote houseX" handling in future, there's probably a better way to do this. I'm still really surprised I was unable to find any house1 locations in Sentinel though.

At least it won't hang from the next version. I was counting attempts, but had forgotten to put in the sanity break. :oops:

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Is "take item from PC" compatible with gold amounts? In other words, could I make an NPC rob some gold from you?

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Not yet, but it easily could. :evil: :lol:

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Do not worry. I promise not to be unfairly evil :D