[DFUnity] How to write texts in DFU menu screens

Discuss translation of Daggerfall Unity and the required Daggerfall installation. Help other communities learn how to translate Daggerfall using any available tools and processes.
Daneel53

[DFUnity] How to write texts in DFU menu screens

Post by Daneel53 »

Hi translators,

Here you will find information on how to write texts on the empty DREAM menu screens that will become available when I will have finished to translate all the DREAM menus in French.

Because I wanted to write something very precise for those, as me, that are not used to photo processing with GIMP, I decided to write a tutorial that is distributed as an independant PDF file.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dkw8lx ... sp=sharing

In this tutorial I explain:
  • How to prepare the works with the two GIMP tools used
  • How to set up the texts with the font Daggerfont
  • How to add the shadow filter
  • How to shrink some texts if they are too long in your language
The tutorial is not complete. With its current content you can add the simple texts that are the more numerous in the different screens (as all the texts of the inventory screen for example), but I will extend the tutorial to another text style that is used mainly on buttons and some titles.
This will be studied and written when I will have completed the Daggerfont with all the missing accentuated letters that do not exist in this font for French writing. To complete the font is from now my priority and I will produce a dedicated tutorial so that you may extend the font to the letters needed for your own language.

Anyway this subject is there so that we can discuss on that specific matter: to write text in DREAM menu screens. Don't hesitate to give feedback:
  • if you think that the tutorial should be modified or fixed.
  • if you think that something could be done differently.
To be continued... :)
In charge of Project French Daggerfall and DaggerfallSetup, dev. of DFTools in English.
French translator for many Warband mods and Bannerlord.

Daneel53

Re: [DFUnity] How to write texts in DFU menu screens

Post by Daneel53 »

Hello,

As seen in another subject, I have added accented letters into the daggerfont, the result is a new font named Daggerfall2.

I have rewritten the present tutorial to adapt it to the new font, so you can take draft2 of the tutorial with the same link as above.

Next step shall be to create the second type of colored letters that will be used in some of the menu screens, this will be the content of chapter 4.

To be followed... :)
In charge of Project French Daggerfall and DaggerfallSetup, dev. of DFTools in English.
French translator for many Warband mods and Bannerlord.