Enhanced Sky

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
Nystul

Re: Enhanced Sky

Post by Nystul »

Interkarma wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 4:12 am I'm sorry there's no event for this, none of the fields exposed by SettingManager have events attached. It's just comparing an int though and shouldn't be very taxing. Maybe there's better place to do it than in Update()? I can add an event later if you like. :)
Update is ok for now I guess, but events would be the most performant solution I guess (and less error-prone)

haloterm

Post by haloterm »

When pressing F10 to show the classic UI, the sky gets black :)

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

haloterm wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:04 pm When pressing F10 to show the classic UI, the sky gets black :)
better not press F10 then... :D

will take a look at the weekend

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Nystul, apologies for not covering this one in my PR to Enhanced Sky. I didn't catch it.

F10 toggles between fullscreen and large HUD. Just like changing resolutions, mod will need to update render target anytime this changes. Should only require a few lines of code, and I'm happy to help with another PR if needed. :)

To workaround in short term, restarting game after toggling fullscreen/large HUD will also resolve. Mod picks up correct render target at start, just not when switched at runtime. I imagine older versions of DFU+sky also had this issue as how this works hasn't changed in 0.13.

pango

Post by pango »

At least for this change there's a delegate/event: DaggerfallHUD.OnLargeHUDToggle
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

pango wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:23 am At least for this change there's a delegate/event: DaggerfallHUD.OnLargeHUDToggle
this makes matters pretty easy then... great ;)

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

ok, even without Enhanced Sky mod active retro mode in combination with LargeHUD is broken, see this bug report: http://forums.dfworkshop.net/viewtopic. ... d26#p58421

haloterm

Post by haloterm »

When using Retro Rendering in 4:3, the sun gets vertically stretched.

It makes no difference if I set a native screen resolution of 4:3 in Windows, or if I use the 4:3 option in DFU.

When not using retro rendering, but with a native 4:3 resolution, the sun looks fine.

Marlhin

Post by Marlhin »

I am on Linux and Enhanced Sky, unfortunately, does not work when retro rendering is active. I only see the classic pixelated skytexture and the whole world is black. Disabling retro rendering makes Enhanced Sky work as intended, though.

So as other people can play on Windows with retro rendering enabled, it seems that there is a problem with the Linux installation.

I would gladly give any information needed about my system to get to the root of the problem.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

haloterm wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:42 am When using Retro Rendering in 4:3, the sun gets vertically stretched.
Classic Daggerfall outputs at 320x200, which has a 16:10 aspect ratio. On 4:3 CRT displays the closest resolution is 320x240. This results in output signal being stretched 20% vertically and it's expected to see vertical stretching in this relationship. Many games intentionally drew their art a bit fatter to compensate. Some more details about this here.

Another way to think about it is the pixels are no longer square. They're now 20% higher than they are wide. You can get the same effect by taking a classic Daggerfall 320x200 screenshot and upscaling to 1600x1200. This is a clean 5x width and 6x height upscale and exactly 20% higher. This is the recommended way to get accurate screenshots from old 320x200 games, and is how DFU calculates the amount of pillarboxing required to for a 16:10 > 4:3 output on widescreen monitors.

Of course, this only partially translates when combining modern techniques with old, such as Enhanced Sky in retro modes. Expectations are going to vary between different people also.

So what's the solution for you if you don't want the sky to stretch? One possibility is to select 16:10 retro mode aspect instead. This is a 1:1 upscale and does not stretch 20% vertically. Another is for someone to add adjustable FOV setting to SkyCam in Enhanced Sky. Then users will have some control over how wide the sun looks relative to world.