[MOD] Mountains and Hills

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
King of Worms

Re: [MOD] Mountains and Hills

Post by King of Worms »

Levethian wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:20 am I'm already spoilt with this - but is there a way to increase the draw/view distance beyond 'Terrain Distance 4' in the DF Unity menu?
Apologies if this has been asked & answered - I searched as best I could.
So far there is not, if Im not mistaken.

But maybe try the Distant Terrain? And set terrain distance to 2... thats enough to surpass "Mountains and Hills" view distance a lot.
If you have a good CPU, set it to 4. But than the transitions when traveling on your own may take longer and the game gets generally heavier on the HW in a complex way (RAM,CPU, GPU)

Montains and Hills is basically a light version of Distant terrain to me. Its great. But distant terrain is better now, IMO

Levethian

Post by Levethian »

I think I initially picked M&H because it was less 'bumpy' - but yeah, it looks like Distant Terrain has Lod for super-distance. Thanks!

edit: I think I still prefer the terrain in Mountains & Hills. With 'Distant Terrain' the port of Sentinel & the base of lighthouses are underwater, and beaches seem very 'lumpy'.. for beaches. Ideally I'd like the LOD from distant terrain with the terrain sampling from Mountains & Hills.

Travelling to Ephesus with Distant Terrain and seeing mountains all around is pretty lovely though.

ifkopifko

Post by ifkopifko »

Levethian wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:15 pmI think I still prefer the terrain in Mountains & Hills. ... Ideally I'd like the LOD from distant terrain with the terrain sampling from Mountains & Hills.
Exactly what I would like. :)

Uncanny_Valley

Post by Uncanny_Valley »

pango wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:10 pm I'd like to bring here a problem I reported a while back in the bug tracker; It involves this mod, and the fully description of the problem can be checked there, but in short this mod can create sharp slopes so close to towns that startmarkers can be so above ground that fast traveling to some towns from some sides can get you killed because of fall damage.
I tried twice to fix the issue inside DFU itself, but twice created regressions, so I'm more and more inclined to call it a mod bug.

Could, say, the flat margin around towns be enlarged, for example to match the margin used by Distant Terrain?
Whip wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:15 pm
pango wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:10 pm Could, say, the flat margin around towns be enlarged...
...and with a gentler slope if possible for the purpose of immersion. Some towns look odd with steeper hills adjacent to them with that sudden flat section carved out for the town. It might look a little more natural if this wasn't so extreme. I do love the mod though, it gives so much more dimension to the world.
I will look into his. Increasing the margin around town could fix it, but this will also make the slopes around the town a lot steeper. I thought that I had found a good balance but.. :(

pango

Post by pango »

On that front, hopefully 0.10.5 will fix this issue and the previous regressions.
At least that's the plan... It wasn't planned to have regressions before either :)
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

OMightyBuggy

Post by OMightyBuggy »

pango wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:40 am On that front, hopefully 0.10.5 will fix this issue and the previous regressions.
At least that's the plan... It wasn't planned to have regressions before either :)
Are there night builds to test out?

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Only if you compile it yourself ;)

OMightyBuggy

Post by OMightyBuggy »

Jay_H wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 3:17 am Only if you compile it yourself ;)
Awwww you. ;) XD

Should be able to use TortoiseSVN right?

pango

Post by pango »

OMightyBuggy wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:06 pm Should be able to use TortoiseSVN right?
TortoiseSVN is a Subversion client, GitHub uses Git, so no you'll need a Git client.

I hope this video is still somewhat relevant. You'll need Unity 2018.2.21f1 those days though:
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

Yagiza

Post by Yagiza »

Hello!
Can anyone explain a difference between this mod and Distant Terrain? The only difference I noticed so far is that Distant Terrain mod is unusabale now, 'cause I can't visit Castle Darregfall (and probably other dungeons with stairs at the entrance), cause when I leave it, my character falls through the stairs and I cannot get out anymore. There is no such bug with Monutains and Hills mod.
But for some reason, Distant Terrain is recommended. So, I wonder, why? What other differences I didn't notice yet?