KoW - D.R.E.A.M.

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
King of Worms

Re: KoW - D.R.E.A.M.

Post by King of Worms »

I will create a pack of animated NPCs to upscale and send it your way MasonFace. Thank you, both of you.

In the amount of the data I process here, it makes no sense to try to make some detail in a image everyone will skip thru perfect. That DIE screen is absolutely beyond of what it needs to be even now quality wise.. and thats as much as Im willing to discus about DIE screen :D If someone provides something better, by all means. I did not see anything even remotely close to it yet so...

Yes xBRZ is not perfect, but that lady is WAY beyond xBRZ and way beyond the AI now, so I will gladly keep her at that level. I will not start whole process of face transplant to 4 animated images where she turns her head around etc, no fucking way :D Create that NPC and let me know, thats the way, thats the spirit!! :D

I need a break from this anyway... I just released R3 after months of work. I might be even done with this mod, its already too much.

MasonFace

Post by MasonFace »

I used CleanPixels to upscale the originals to 4x, then downscaled to 2x using NoHalo interpolation, then upscaled the 2x up to 8x using CleanPixels again. Below is the result:

Obviously the color banding is just from the reduction of color depth from converting to a GIF file.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Well thats a nice result :) For this specific sprite I have used some higher res source than is available from the game. And same for one of the KoW dancers. I extracted them from these gifs.

I think the red one is missing some frame and one is added, but that doesnt matter, I can correct that missing frame (I already did that in my animation - so I can use that frame from my version)
dancera.gif
dancera.gif (51.48 KiB) Viewed 937 times
dancerb.gif
dancerb.gif (46.25 KiB) Viewed 937 times
If you used that as a source, the results would be much better. I will try to make that pack and send it your way today.
I think if you use this pipeline, the results will be nice :)

MrFlibble

Post by MrFlibble »

MasonFace wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:44 pm I used CleanPixels to upscale the originals to 4x, then downscaled to 2x using NoHalo interpolation, then upscaled the 2x up to 8x using CleanPixels again. Below is the result:
Hey, it's not that bad! Thanks!

But as King of Worms suggests it would likely be better to upscale the larger res versions of the dancers that came from the NUKE review I linked to in the post on the previous page.

From what I can tell, there are tree major types of dancers, based on the same girl model and animation:
  • girl with no headdress and long braid - available in high res
  • girl with a triangular shaped hood - available in high res
  • girl with a round shaped hood - only low res
The subtypes differ by the colour of what they have on (if anything) apart from the hoods. I think it would be more or less easy to recolour the hi-res hooded dancer into the blue variant seen in texture.181, plus it need to remove the skull medallion but I believe this is doable by using frames from the other high-res animation without the hood. (I have to check that though!)

The other variant of the girl with braid and no headdress should also be doable, but will require more work because her skirt/loincloth has blue trim, and the hi-res one has no trim at all. (BTW, her direct low-res counterpart has yellow trim, while none is seen on the high-res version). There's also a different pattern on the loincloth itself.

The third would be tricky because we have no high-res version of the round hood. It should scale up more or less well though and perhaps could be frankensprited onto the high-res body that we have.

Some of the dancers are topless and one is entirely nude (and all of those use the round hood, duh!). However it appears that the original model was actually nude and whatever clothing they have is simply painted on, so this is more of a matter of recolouring the high-res sprites available using the low-res versions as reference. Still sounds like a lot of work!

I think I could try something with these (I'm curious how this can work out), because it seems a worthy pursuit to try to get as many of those in high-res before upscaling, for all the extra detail that they have.

BlazerSteppo

Post by BlazerSteppo »

MasonFace

Post by MasonFace »

KoW, the post directly above this is in context to this post from AI Upscaled Textures: viewtopic.php?p=51641#p51641

Also, I don't think that second picture was what he originally submitted.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Thats a nice job with the faces.

Current situation with faces is as following:
Females - all done

Males:
Face00 - done
Face01 - done
Face02 - (0-0, 2-0, 3-0, 4-0, 5-0) done
Face03 - done
Face04 - (0-0, 1-0, 2-0, 8-0) done
Face05 - 4-0 done
Face06 - 0-0 done

Usual resolution of the finished face is around 500x500
But some are 1/2 of that res and it still looks good

If you or anyone is into face modding, Id be very glad to have the missing ones done.
I can provide the base upscale, from which its easier to work the quality up. Please let me know
if interrested. Thanks you :)

Example of the male face:
FACE04I0.CIF_8-0.png
FACE04I0.CIF_8-0.png (231.65 KiB) Viewed 827 times
FACE02I0.CIF_4-0.png
FACE02I0.CIF_4-0.png (496.74 KiB) Viewed 827 times
FACE00I0.CIF_5-0.png
FACE00I0.CIF_5-0.png (100.67 KiB) Viewed 827 times

BlazerSteppo

Post by BlazerSteppo »

Tried to do a realistic one but it simply does not fit the style of the game at all. What you posted has a nice oil painting feeling much more suited for the game itself.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

MasonFace, Ive put together the updated NPCs pack, I removed those I feel are good enough already, Ive also added the Higher Res source folder, with 2 HD dancers, 1 sorcerer and Daedra sedurer frames which I should be able to get ingame if done. But thats not really necessary to do. Just have a look and if you feel like doing some of the sprites its would be great, esp the dancers. Currently I use around 2048 if the NPC height, but if its 1/2 its ok as well

Thanks a lot :)
NPCs 2 Upscale.rar
(774.66 KiB) Downloaded 46 times

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Hi Blazer, thanks for offer, Ive put together all the missing faces. They are already in the correct resolution.
What is important is to keep the eye/mouth at the same spot as they are, when you work on the image. In general, try to keep the shape similar, just add details like better hair, better eyes (those are really important for the overall look), smoother skin etc....

Try something and post it here, even if its just one image... so we can discuss the style etc.

Its about having fun, no rush, no stress :)

Thanks a lot!

PS: Ive added some example faces to the pack. The faces06 are the Khajiit, they are a bit different than the rest. Ive added a example Khajiit face, but you dont have to keep that style. Just find the way you like em..

Also, dont worry if they are not at the level Ive posted here, those are professional artists renditions.

https://easyupload.io/1mdtiv

Example of my nooby work (and even this looks good ingame)
FACE16I0.CIF_9-0.png
FACE16I0.CIF_9-0.png (54.07 KiB) Viewed 791 times
FACE15I0.CIF_0-0.png
FACE15I0.CIF_0-0.png (87 KiB) Viewed 791 times
FACE11I0.CIF_1-0.png
FACE11I0.CIF_1-0.png (56.65 KiB) Viewed 791 times