KoW - D.R.E.A.M.

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
fosley

Re: KoW - D.R.E.A.M.

Post by fosley »

Textures\renameSaveButtonBackgroundColor.png
Spoiler!
Rename Button Replaced.jpg
Rename Button Replaced.jpg (58.25 KiB) Viewed 895 times

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

;)

N_Molson

Post by N_Molson »

This one is closer from the orginals, with a lot of hair and beard :

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Have you changed the skin color or light, because this one is way darker...

Also, its all too similar... can we have some more variety of hair? Because if we can have just like 10 similar faces, than its not going anywhere and the method needs to be changed.

If you look at the source faces, there are guys with lots of hair, lots of beards etc..

fosley

Post by fosley »

So hair can be tricky to work with, especially when you've got transparency involved, but I feel like those lines are too sharp. Even a really clean beard has some variation to the surface. The outside, where the hair is touching the transparent background, and the inside, where the hair is touching the skin, should both have some stubble here and there.

Where the hair touches the forehead looks good, but the top of the head could use some variation as well. Some hairstyles do have very clean lines along the edge of the hair (see the front of the first guy's head in profile), but there will be variation when you're looking down the hair (from the front, when hair is combed front to back) or when you're looking at the ends of the hair (any short hair, or the tip of a ponytail or something).

Not saying I can do better. Just that it would look better, if it's something you can reasonably accomplish.
Spoiler!

Also, not all of these people would reasonably be using the medieval equivalent of hairspray.

Ferital

Post by Ferital »

King of Worms wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:10 pm There is this loading screen, where we pick up the saves to load, it is open to modding, has buttons like:

mainpanelbackgroundcolor
switchclassicbuttonbackgroundcolor
deletesavebuttonbackgroundcolor
cancelbuttonbackgroundcolor

and similar cool names :D

And it has added new button for renaming the save file.

Can someone tell me what is the name of that button, so I can create it?

Thank you!

This is the tab I talk about:
Spoiler!
mainpanelbackgroundcolor.png
I added this feature a while back (
https://github.com/Interkarma/daggerfal ... /pull/1589). The name of the button is, well, "renameSaveButton". I couldn't be more original.

N_Molson

Post by N_Molson »

Well then forget about it because I can't honestly do a lot better... I'm no 3D artist and I'm merely trying to use in a smart way resources made by users of an opensource character generation software, Makehuman...

When you say the lines are too sharp and so on, yes, of course I agree, but what you are asking for has a name : photorealism. You can get this with softwares such as Poser or DAZ Studio, but you're going to pay 20$ for each single hairset... If anyone has that kind of money, please go for it ;)

At this point the best I can do is to give the link to the tools, hoping that someone will do better, which will involve creating hairsets, beards, normal maps and all that good texturing fun in Blender... I don't know how to do that and I'm not a professional, so I can't spend 12 hours a day on it. So here it is :

Makehuman : http://www.makehumancommunity.org/

Blender, of course : https://www.blender.org/

You'll need some plugins to make the two work together, what you want to do is to import/export files in .mhx2, a format designed especially for Makehuman & Blender interactions. Blender itself is an extremely powerful and opensource 3D software, but the interface is punishing. You're warned ! :lol:

Why can't we find professional quality resources in open source ? The answer is quite simple : people that are that good ARE professionals, and live from their artwork. Hence the other way, gilded way of doing things.

For people that have a magic +4 everfull gold bag, here is the best of the best :

Poser 11 : https://www.posersoftware.com/

Daz Studio : https://www.daz3d.com/

Notice : the Daz Studio editor is free, but you won't make 10 different faces with the "free" resources, you'll have to buy stuff. Which can work, really. The point of those softwares is that they give you "ready to use" 3D solutions, allowing you to focus on the actual rendering work. The gurus and professionals using those ones can make pictures as real as photographs, no one can tell, which is extremely useful in advertisement (might still be cheaper than hiring a real model and photography hardware). I think its waaay overkill for our purpose.

I'm not saying I don't want to continue either. But I have to take in consideration that I spend 1 to 2 hours by portrait, and should keep a pace of 2 or 3 a day to go somewhere. Its a lot of work, and it has to be useful. If someone can do ol'good hand drawing, the result will be better.
Last edited by N_Molson on Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

TheLacus

Post by TheLacus »

King of Worms wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:46 pm Thanks,

so you say it has been replaced, but that tab is still working?

I just hope that this loading screen will continue to work...
Im aware it was somehow a temporal solution, but it works, its easy to mod and I quite frankly liked it a lot

Time will tell I guess
Spoiler!
Untitled-1.jpg
Yes, its still working for now but is obsolete and will be removed in the future, maybe for the beta or what comes next.

Or at least i don't think it should be kept like this; it only works for that specific window and is very limited. UIFactory system is a much more elegant and extensible approach.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Molson, thank you for what you did, really :)

But if one of these takes you 2 hours, than thats really not efficient tool to use and the process should be halted. Plus the faces are quite similar, nothing like the diversity of the originals. So thats a no go, but I really appreciate your input.

That leaves us at the beginning... I either need a good AI upscalling mate, good artist or just move on and keep it as it is.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Got it Lacus.

Still, it would be cool to have a OPTION to keep this window. The new approach might be better and all that, but If I cant edit/mod it without learning C++ than its not THAT great for this specific tab for me...

Basically what I say is, that I would appreciate the option to keep my Loading screen if the new version will be restricted to the C++ users ;)