[MOD] Realtime Reflections

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
Nystul

Re: [MOD] Realtime Reflections

Post by Nystul »

Arioch wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 5:45 am I've had another mess around regarding the shiny Mage's Guild windows - I made a clean install of DU, no mods, and they looked fine. I unzipped the texture folder from your mod into DU, still no mods installed or activated, and the windows went into the odd shiny look.
mysterious, I don't experience this :/

Arioch

Post by Arioch »

Nystul wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 7:34 am
Arioch wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 5:45 am I've had another mess around regarding the shiny Mage's Guild windows - I made a clean install of DU, no mods, and they looked fine. I unzipped the texture folder from your mod into DU, still no mods installed or activated, and the windows went into the odd shiny look.
mysterious, I don't experience this :/
If I delete the metallicglossmaps for my problem floor textures/windows, would that help with performance? I pretty much only want the water reflections outside.

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

no preformance is not affected by textures. It's the extra cameras rendering the reflections and it is done anyway when the mod is active

Arioch

Post by Arioch »

Ah, so there won’t be a way of disabling certain indoor areas - thanks for the reply, I suppose I’ll stick with doing a temporary mod-off as required.

Allerka

Post by Allerka »

To give you some extra benchmarking data, I tried running this on my system, which has a Ryzen 5 3600 at 4.2 Ghz, 32 GB of DDR4-3200 RAM, and a RTX 2080 that scores over 19k on Passmark's benchmark (A bit higher than the global average). Using DFU 10.23 and v2.2.2 of this mod.

With no mods running at all:
- Average FPS in a dungeon: 135-140
- Average FPS outside: 135-140
- GPU usage indoors: 25%
- GPU usage outdoors: 35%
- VRAM usage: 0 MB (Bugged?)
- CPU usage: 5-10%
- RAM usage: 1 GB

With all other graphical mods running (DREAM, Post-Processing, Distant Terrain, Birds, Handpainted Models, Hi-Res Terrain Textures, Enhanced Sky, Improved Interior Lighting, Real Grass, Vibrant Wind, ReShade):
- Average FPS in a dungeon: 120-130
- Average FPS outside: 120-130
- GPU usage indoors: 65-75%
- GPU usage outdoors: 80-80%
- VRAM usage: 3-4 GB indoors, 5-6 GB outdoors
- CPU usage: 20-40%
- RAM usage: 4-5 GB

With just this mod running:
- Average FPS in a dungeon: 90-110
- Average FPS outside: 135-140
- GPU usage indoors: 25-35%
- GPU usage outdoors: 35-40%
- VRAM usage: 2 GB
- CPU usage: 15-40%
- RAM usage: 1 GB

With everything running:
- Average FPS in a dungeon: 60-70
- Average FPS outside: 65-75
- GPU usage indoors: 40-50%
- GPU usage outdoors: 45-55%
- VRAM usage: 3 GB indoors, 6 GB outdoors, 7 GB after extended playing
- CPU usage: 20-60%
- RAM usage: 4 GB

I also popped by a few places for reference and to see if the reflections were working properly. Outside, all the reflections seem to work fine. Building interiors, including the Mages' Guild, don't seem to be, comparing what I'm seeing to your sample screenshot.
DaggerfallUnity 2020-05-31 15-56-24.png
DaggerfallUnity 2020-05-31 15-56-24.png (1.7 MiB) Viewed 2475 times
Additionally, even my system sees a HUGE framerate drop when I go to places like Castle Daggerfall or Castle Wayrest. When I'm in those locations, my FPS averages around 20-40, never going above 50, and sometimes drops as low as 10. Weirdly the GPU usage doesn't spike, even though the FPS drops. EDIT: I should add adjusting the Roughness setting had no discernible impact.

Sadly, I think for the time being, I'm going to have to leave this mod off. The performance hit is just too big, and I'm not really interested in reloading the game to selectively disable it whenever I go to certain locations. It looks frigging beautiful, though!

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

Allerka wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 8:06 pm I also popped by a few places for reference and to see if the reflections were working properly. Outside, all the reflections seem to work fine. Building interiors, including the Mages' Guild, don't seem to be, comparing what I'm seeing to your sample screenshot.
you are using texture replacements - so no wonder you don't see reflections. either these overwrited the metallicglossmap textures/xml files, or you didn't install the reflection textures at all: did you unpack the textures from the zip file as mentioned in the readme file of realtime reflections mod?

Allerka

Post by Allerka »

Nystul wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:50 am you are using texture replacements - so no wonder you don't see reflections. either these overwrited the metallicglossmap textures/xml files, or you didn't install the reflection textures at all: did you unpack the textures from the zip file as mentioned in the readme file of realtime reflections mod?
Yep, the textures are installed as per the directions, otherwise I'm sure I wouldn't see anything outside either. I'd chalk it up to an overwrite, then, I'm also using DREAM, High Res Terrain, Handpainted Models, Enhanced Sky, Improved Interior Lighting, Real Grass, Post-Processing, etc. I tested turning mods on and off, looks like DREAM's doing it. I should have noticed the resolution difference between your screenshot and mine, oops.

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

Allerka wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:07 pm ..., otherwise I'm sure I wouldn't see anything outside either.
no that is not indicating anything. as soon as a mod adds a metallicglossmap to a ground texture reflections will show up on ground tiles when realtime reflections mod is active - even if one forgot to unzip the zip file with textures that comes with realtime reflections mod

ok so to really check if realtime reflection mod is working as intended, make it the only mod active, delete all files in StreamingAssets/Textures and unzip the zip archive with textures that comes with the mod to the StreamingAssets/Textures folder - then check again

Allerka

Post by Allerka »

Yeah, as soon as I turn DREAM - Textures off, the interior reflections show up. Sorry, I should have included a screenshot.

DaggerfallUnity 2020-06-02 10-07-44.png
DaggerfallUnity 2020-06-02 10-07-44.png (1.49 MiB) Viewed 2405 times

Same thing happens inside the castle:

DREAM - Texture off:
DaggerfallUnity 2020-06-02 10-08-07.png
DaggerfallUnity 2020-06-02 10-08-07.png (1.46 MiB) Viewed 2405 times
And when it's on:
DaggerfallUnity 2020-06-02 10-10-57.png
DaggerfallUnity 2020-06-02 10-10-57.png (1.62 MiB) Viewed 2405 times
Reinstalling the textures doesn't change anything. I'm not complaining or anything, just letting you know it happens.

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

new version Realtime Reflections 2.2.3 for dfunity 0.10.25+ is available - link is in the first post of this thread