[WIP]Airships - Update 0.2.7 [22 Sept 2020]

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
Dubiousintent

Re: [WIP]Airships - Update 0.2.4 (22-02-2020)

Post by Dubiousintent »

Re: your suggested improvements. My two cents.

1. "Default speed" should initially be either be a mod setting the player can select, or based upon distance to be traveled. We're using airships to cover long distances more quickly most of the time. But I can see a case for "survey" cruising at slower speeds.

2. An altitude display is only of use if you can compare that of the keel of the airship with that of the ground. But since you are controlling from the "top deck", you can't really see the ground anyway, so there isn't any practical difference between a "land ship" button and the "difference in altitude" display. Keep it simple and just go with a button. Such a display would be an interesting visual but not very practical.

Now if you are still intending to provide for "ship to ship" boarding actions, that is a different story, but much more complex to implement (3D convergence).

3. Why isn't "Real Grass" being replaced with VWD/LOD textures during flight? Beyond a certain height, the practical difference from "background" level of detail is nil. Shouldn't the game engine be determining that anyway?

4. A need for "fuel" is one possibility, but why not simply use the existing "fatigue" mechanic of the "Filling Food" mod? Like a modern day bus, the ship stops at taverns along the way for "rest breaks" based upon the player fatigue/endurance level.

Overall, those are some nice improvement ideas.

Midknightprince

Re: [WIP]Airships - Update 0.2.4 (22 Feb 2020)

Post by Midknightprince »

HOLD THE PHONE, there's an update !
Check out my YouTube Channel!

King of Worms

Re: [WIP]Airships - Update 0.2.4 (22-02-2020)

Post by King of Worms »

3. Why isn't "Real Grass" being replaced with VWD/LOD textures during flight? Beyond a certain height, the practical difference from "background" level of detail is nil. Shouldn't the game engine be determining that anyway?
Really, if this mod can turn the grass mod off (or set the quality to 0) while you are boarding the ship, it would help the world to stream better. Ive tested it and turning grass off yielded a better performance with no visual difference.

Jish

Post by Jish »

posted on the nexus as well, but figured i would make one here too. seems like my player gets attached to the ropes after a ride. happened all of a sudden, and i didnt even change the settings yet, made a video to show whats going on
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKCNxFk8IuI

Kaedius

Post by Kaedius »

Jish wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 5:38 am posted on the nexus as well, but figured i would make one here too. seems like my player gets attached to the ropes after a ride. happened all of a sudden, and i didnt even change the settings yet, made a video to show whats going on
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKCNxFk8IuI
My next priority is to finally get that bug fixed. Does it happen every time for you or is it intermittent?

Nomadic Wolf

Re: [WIP]Airships - Update 0.2.5 (9 May 2020)

Post by Nomadic Wolf »

Can the sails in airship be replaced by a baloon? That would make these airships more awsome and realistic.

Kaedius

Post by Kaedius »

Very cool look! Customizing sail types was something I wanted to do, I think adding in a balloon-type should be doable as well. The only things holding me back are my atrocious art and modeling skills, but I feel like a blimp/bubble/ball shouldn't be all too difficult...

Qualen

Post by Qualen »

I use newest version of the mod and found couple of bugs in it.

First is whenever i fast travel to a big city with walls sometimes the message "Thief just died" is showing. I guess it's because pilots are using Thief NPC model? And somehow they die when i arrive in the city? I guess it's part of that traffic in the sky with other air ships.

And second sometimes when i use ropes i stuck in mid air kinda between ropes on one side of the ship. It's not moving and i need to reload previous save to get "unstuck". I use no animation for ropes in settings if it helps.

Kaedius

Post by Kaedius »

Qualen wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 11:37 pm I use newest version of the mod and found couple of bugs in it.

First is whenever i fast travel to a big city with walls sometimes the message "Thief just died" is showing. I guess it's because pilots are using Thief NPC model? And somehow they die when i arrive in the city? I guess it's part of that traffic in the sky with other air ships.
I haven't seen that one yet! You're probably right, that sounds exactly like what's going on. I'll see what I can do.
Qualen wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 11:37 pm And second sometimes when i use ropes i stuck in mid air kinda between ropes on one side of the ship. It's not moving and i need to reload previous save to get "unstuck". I use no animation for ropes in settings if it helps.
This has been fixed internally, I'll try getting the update out soon but I have a few other things I'm adjusting that I'd like to get finalized before releasing the update. In the meantime, make sure you are completely still before clicking the rope to avoid this happening. Next update will make the ropes a bit thicker to help click them although the bug will be gone regardless.

Thanks for the reports!

Behr11

Post by Behr11 »

I'm having a major issue where I cannot board any airships.

I interact with the rope, and it teleports me slightly higher, but not on the ship. I'm stuck in airship mode and my vertical movement is synced with the airship.

This is making the mod unplayable because I can't actually get on the airship. Do you have a fix?